MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

What is the difference between Aplastic Anemia and MDS?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board What is the difference between Aplastic Anemia and MDS?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    J.claire

In easily understood words, what is the main difference between Aplastic Anemia and MDS? Is it the marrow that is decisive? Also, does RCMD mean all three (red, white PLT) are low? I have read past posts about these two issues and I think I understand somewhat, but sometimes it takes a while to really “gell” in my brain. I have noticed that some of you have a talent for saying things in a clear way. It’s a huge help.

Neil

There are a couple primary differences.
    As a rule AA occurs in younger people. (Frequently pre teens.)
    Most AA patients have hypo-plastic marrow while most (not all ) MDS patients have hyper-plastic marrow.
    In AA the marrow stops making enough stem cells where in MDS the marrow produces abnormal cells and in some not enough stem cells.
    AA is usually treated with immunosuppressive drugs such as ATG and ALG.
    IN AA stem cell transplant are succesful in 80% of younger patients.
    RCMD involves more than one cell line. May be 2 or 3 lines.

g-masews

go to this web page http://www.aamds.org and sign up to get all their information on both aa and mds. It’s all free and they have a wealth of info all easy to understand. Any new patient should do this.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert