MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

What quantity of sesame seeds to use

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board What quantity of sesame seeds to use

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Ani

I did a search for information on quantities to use on this website, lots of references to sesame seeds but no quantities.
    How much does one take at a time/day?
    My husband’s platelets are at 59,000 and I feel a boost from something is indicated.
    Thank you
    Ani

patti

Hi Ani,

My MIL is taking 1 tablespoon of black sesame seeds (found in the foreign foods aisle) and juicing 1/4 of a pineapple a day. It did a good job of boosting her platelets (we noticed the difference right away). She’s been going up about 2000 a week. 59K seems good to me but I guess because mom has been below 20K forever.

Patti

Terri

Bob would put a spoon or so in a yogurt cup but They can’t hurt you so there were days he would take more then one tablespoon.
    He slacked off but getting back into the swing with that and the pineapple. I try and juice a whole pineapple and have him drink it.

frank
    Participant

also the penut skin is another try… that is come from Chinese doctor. it really works.

Frank

Jimbob

I used about a tablespoon of black sesame seeds and about a cup of fresh pineapple juice. Usually bought both at Whole Foods. Black sesame seeds in bulk and organic pineapple. After SCT had to stay away from both, per BMT doctors and naturapathic doctor, too. No bulk products and pineapple juice was too much for system. Doctor of Oriental Medicine had also suggested peanut skins, said we could get from producer of peanut butter. We couldn’t find one though.
    Jim

gemloyear

Frank & Jim, wouldn’t reg. peanuts with the skin on work just as well, peanuts have so much nutritional value anyway ? Perhaps a smaller amount of pineapple juice would be ok. I would like to try some of these things for Glen.
    Ellie

Ani

My thanks to all who offered helpful advice on the quantity of black sesame seeds. Its rather difficult to obtain pineapples here, (a little distant from the tropics) and what we can get,greenish and awful looking are in the “liquid gold” price range. Wonder if they would contain any of the properties needed to help platelet production.Yes, Patti, I guess the platelet counts are all relative, when my husband was diagnosed almost 3 years ago, they were 77,000, got up to 114,000 just once, perhaps a mistake, but have been in the 80,000 range for over two years now.I do realise that certain conditions could have caused the lower result, will just wait to see what the next blood count tells.
    Thanks again, Ani

patti

Ani,

The big thing in pineapple is bromalein (sp?). I wonder if it would do even a little bit to add a bromalein supplement to your husband’s diet. Just a thought. Maybe with that and the black sesame seeds that would help. I know there is nothing quite like fresh juice but when you can’t, maybe a second option is better than nothing at all. I don’t know about BC but here mom is paying about $5 a pineapple! That’s why she’s only doing 1/4 of a pineapple a day.

Patti

kristyk

I have been reviewing these posts and I am in the dark….How did you all learn about good nutrients etc specific to the MDS disease. Would you suggest any readings? We have been reading many books of late on diet, but nothing that can help us put it into perspective with the MDS. Any Ideas? We did ask my mom’s doctor about referal to nutritioninst but he sort of minimized this and brushed on. Any ideas? Thanks all Kristy

Jimbob

Kristy,
    I think medical doctors are finally beginning to realize the impoertance of diet and nutrional but they still put too much into treating symptons instead of causes. One of my doctors is a naturapathic/acupuncturist. She is a professor at the National College for Natural Medicine and also a the Oregon College of Oriental Medicine. She provided me with nutrional information when I was first diagnosed in Feb 2004. I have added things from various sources since. It is an ongoing process.

kristyk

Jimbob
    thanks for reply..do you coordinate this with your hemo/oncologist? I am wondering how to find naturapathic in St. Louis..I will research. Boy it sure would be great if cancer centers had this info available to patients. Some other holistic tips would be appreciated as well. Referrals would be great, but instead I will go to the phone book and take a stab! Thanks again for tip.
    Kristy

patti

Kristy,

I think some doctors are more open to the nutritional treatments then others. My MIL’s is a real jerk about it. But she’d be dead if it weren’t for all of the nutrition stuff we’re doing if we did what he wanted us to do. Instead, we’re doing it our way and she’s doing very well.

When you look in the phone book for a naturepath, call them and ask specifically if they are an office that treats strictly cancer patients. There are some in our area that do only cancer type patients. They will be most up on the nutrition part of things. If you can’t find a specific cancer one then just try to find a good one (ask friends, etc). Most of the information I found was from reading on the web. I remembering typing in “natural cures for myelodysplastic syndrome” and “natural cures for low red blood cells”, etc. etc. I just typed in specific questions and read what came up. I tried to compare different sources if I was getting conflicting info. Although I almost never did when it came to natural helps.

The big thing to look for is immunity builders. Whole foods and/or supplements that will build your mom’s immunity. Also, blood builders. My MIL takes chlorophyll because it’s a great blood builder. Also, going to a macrobiotic diet. (ie. NO sugar, white flour, hydrogenated fats, etc. etc.)As much whole food as possible.

Anyway, read. Lots. And try to find a good naturepath/nutrionist that deals with cancer. Natural works and will go a long way to helping your mom surprise her doctors by living longer then they think she “should.” I can’t tell you how often I hear that from my MIL’s doc.

Blessings,

Patti

patti

Kristy,

p.s. we don’t tell mom’s doc anything because he’s a jerk about it. You’re better after asking questions of this group if your mom’s doctor poo poo’s the natural.

patti

tahoedonner

No one gave an exact count as to exactly how many seeds should be used but several added pinapple. Is it 10 seeds or a hundred…exactly how many pinapples and how often????

Check out….

http://www.quackwatch.org/

gemloyear

Tahoe, I have found that a good site to research, there are such an array of alternative methods, that one needs to check before combining anything with their chemo or other meds.There are many harmful combinations as well as good ones.Best to check with your doc.Thanks for posting the site.
    Ellie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert