MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Zarnestra

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Zarnestra

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Jack_dup1

I took my first dose of Zarnestra today, I take it for 21 days, off for a month or until counts recover, then repeat. Starting with platelets at 72, wbc 43.7.
    Jack

sdrake

Jack,

I’m sure you have addressed this in a prior post, but why Zarnestra and not Vidaza or Dacogen? I’m interested to know since Dad has CMML too, and Zarnestra hasn’t been discussed. Good luck with it. I hope it does the trick.

Shari

SandyB

Jack: Please keep us posted on the Zarnestra Trial. I just inquired about that for Mike with Loyola Univ. in Chicago.

I think taking away the “food source” is the best idea yet. It seems as though medications are now being geared more to control than to kill. Did you have any type of “enyzme” test done before starting on Zarnestra? I do not know if there is such a thing but would be interested in knowing if there is. Good Luck!

Jack_dup1

We CMML patients are all different. With me it is normal reds, low but stable platelets, and very high Whites. My counts have stayed the same for 3.5 years other than the WBC. They started at 3.2 and have gone as high as 46. The concern is what this is doing to my organs. I have no symptom other than an enlarged spleen. The problem is that some of my Chem Panel numbers are increasing, such as Uric Acid, and LD which is three times what it should be. They didn’t think Vidaza would help my condition. Zarnestra is designed to block protiens that make malignant bone marrow cells grow.
    Sandy,
    I don’t know of an enyzeme test, perhaps someone else could comment on that. I do know that Dr. Venugopal is in charge of the Zarnesta study at Rush in Chicago. He is a great guy, I saw him when first diagnosed and send him my CBC results once in a while, he always responds. I didn’t go to him this time because Omaha is much closer.
    Jack

shirlsgirl

Best of luck with Zarnestra Jack! I look forward to reading your updates. Any side effects so far?

SandyB

Hi Jack,

Just curious about how you experience with Zarnestra is going. Hope well

Jack_dup1

Hi Sandy,
    Thanks for asking. I have been on it 11 of 21 days. So far no real problems. After seven days my counts were unchanged, the platlets were up a little and the whites down a little. I asked if this was a bad thing because they expected my counts to go way down, they said it was a good thing and they didn’t want counts to drop to quickly. Now I have a probelem with Potassium being to high, they will recheck it on Friday. The only neg so far is a constant heartburn, noting I can’t put up with. I cound take Nexium or something, but I would rather not.
    Regards,
    Jack

SandyB

Good Morning Jack:

Nice to hear you are doing well with the Zarnestra. As I mentioned, it seems to me that starving this thing to death is on the right track. Keep me posted!

Regards,
    Sandy

Jack_dup1

Just completed 14th day of Zarnestra (Tipifarnib), my whites are down to 32.1 from 42.5, Platelets unchanged at 88, Reds still normal. Uric Acid and Potassium back in normal range. Kidney tests lower but still above normal. I have had no negative response to the drug and feel great. I may go into the second 21 day round with no delay, in the beginning they said I would have to wait at lest 30 days for my counts to rebound. Plus I have a new grand daughter, today is a good day.
    Jack

SandyB

Jack:

It is a Great Day! We have a 4 month old grandson, who is cuter than you can imagine. Our first!

So glad you are doing well with the Zarnestra.

Mike and I visit his Hemo/Onc. on Monday in Indianapolis. Wants to talk with us about a few options.

Thanks for the update and kiss that beautiful new baby one time for us.

Sandy

Jack_dup1

Just completed first 21 day round of Zarnestra.
    Whites have dropped from 43 to 21, reds are normal, platelets 74, I’m off for two weeks then second round. Could not be more pleased at this stage.
    Jack

shirlsgirl

Woohooo!!! Fantastic news Jack!

Bkwits

Wonderful!! Greatt to hear some good news here.
    Barb

Terri

Great News Jack, I am glad this seems to be doing so well. Bob does not have CMML but recently his whites were up to 77 about a month ago. And now down to NORM.

Suzanne

So glad that drug may work for someone.the researchers have high hopes for it. I surely had very little problem taking it for a year to try to prevent relapse. And what a pleasure- a tiny tiny pill!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert