MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

bone marrow transplant

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board bone marrow transplant

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    sherry luhn
    Participant

Please post your experience with a bone marrow transplant

Rose M Kramer
    Participant

A bone marrow transplant is a procedure to replace damaged or destroyed bone marrow with healthy bone marrow stem cells. Bone marrow is the soft, fatty tissue inside your bones. The bone marrow produces blood cells. Stem cells are immature cells in the bone marrow that give rise to all of your different blood cells.
    For more details visit here.

Richard Mousigian
    Participant

I had a bone marrow transplant from my brother on June 1st. He was a perfect hla match. I gotta tell you that I was not prepared for the pain on mucositis and nothing, not even morphine drip and pump took care of the pain. Once I engrafted though I started healing pretty quickly. I’m currently about a third of the way through my 100 days of solitude and staying with my sister who hooks me up to a magnesium IV for about 5 hours a day. I’m hoping to move over to oral mag and taper off the IV. Dr. wants me to stay on it for time being to mitigate the bad effects tacrolimus has on kidneys but I’m hopeful. I haven’t experienced GVHD yet and I probably just jinxed myself but this has been fairly uneventful since I left hospital with my main complaint being fatigue and tiredness.

walker4773
    Participant

I had a bone marrow transplant in Jan, 2016 from an unrelated donor. It’s been about 6 mos. since my transplant date. I’ve experienced weight loss (30 lbs), little appetite until recently, fatigue (still), some memory loss, desire to be alone but none of the more serious side effects to date. Every day seems to be different than yesterday and I could have a good day (some energy for 3-4 hrs) then 2-4 bad days (tired, no interest in life). I am hesitant to make long term plans that would take up more than a few hours because I don’t know how I will feel. Being from the Phoenix area, the heat really sucks out any energy I had some I’m pretty much indoors for a few months. I’ve been told this could go on for a year or more. My blood levels are pretty much in the low-normal range and I’m done with chemo (Vidaza) so I chalk this up to the normal recovery path, just don’t get in a hurry.

Donald Toman
    Participant

Those who have had a bone marrow transplant would you do it again? How long were you on Vidaza? Where did you have your transplant at?

rar
    Participant

In the thread “new to MDS” a have a fairly long description of my transplant experience. It had its bumps in the road. At 2 years since transplant my doctor thinks I have about a 90% chance of living a normal life, he said it is nice to see a success story for a change. Of course I would do it over again. Maybe I would bring along a steam roller to smooth some of the bumps. I was on phase 1 study of AG221 which lowered my blasts from 13$ to 2% in 2 months. No vidazza. Transplant was done at University of Colorado.

Ray

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert