MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Exjade given for Iron Overload

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Exjade given for Iron Overload

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Joyce Armes
    Participant

I need to know if there are other people whom have MDS with a 7 IPSS who are using Exjade medication due to Iron Overload?

I need to some feedback if there are other people who have used Exjade for at least 90 days and if the results have been favorable when compared to the many risks involved with taking the medication?

Fatima Pasha
    Participant

Hi Joyce,

I have been on Exjade since November 2014, I take 1000mg daily. My ferritin levels had reached as high as 3,384. My results two weeks ago were 1600 and I haven’t had a transfusion since October 27, 2014; I use to need a blood transfusion every three to five weeks, I have had 23 transfusions between November 2012 to October 2014.

To answer your question; despite the side effects my doctors feel that is the best for my organs.

LeAnn Duke
    Participant

Pasha, my name is LeAnn and I was diagnosed with low risk MDS (RARS refractory anemia with ringed sideroblast) in June 2015. I am transfusion dependent and have been having transfusions approximately once a month (every 3 1/2 – 5 weeks). I am going this month into my 5th week and my levels have dropped rather slowly. My iron level was high to begin with and with the transfusions it continues to climb. The last number was 927 so the DR will keep an eye on it and has mentioned Exjade as the medication to keep my iron level in check.

My question is did taking Exjade help your red blood cells at all? How often are you having to have transfusions now?

All of this is very new to me! Thanks for any help you can offer!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert