MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

treating low platelets with promacta

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board treating low platelets with promacta

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    robert rogus
    Participant

Bob has low platelet counts (in the 20s) . The drug promacta has been suggested. Has anyone been treated with this drug? If so, how successful has it been and what side effects are being experienced. Is any other drug being used for this issue. Thanks for any information you have

Sue
    Participant

My husband had several episodes of low platelets. Typically nothing is done about it until they get to 10 or below at which time a platelet transfusion is done. The transfusion itself takes about an hour or so. If a transfusion is considered, make sure to talk to the doctor about pre-medication, i.e. benedryl and steroid to lessen any adverse / allergic reactions. I have never heard of promatca, but did read this when looking it up: “Taking Promacta may increase your risk of developing blood cancers, especially if you have myelodysplastic syndrome (also called “preleukemia”). Talk with your doctor if you have concerns about this risk.” Hopefully your doctor is well-versed in treating MDS.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert