MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Is fever common with MDS?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Is fever common with MDS?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    txnmomma

Ever since my dad was dx’ed with MDS, he gets fever almost daily. Mostly at night.. he has fever from 100.0-102.5

He take tylenol for it- to reduce the fever.. he also has chills.. sweating.. and freezing cold when he has fever too.

Is this all normal.. AND why is fever associated with MDS? or is the fever from something else.??

He can be healthy and still have fever.

eve

any fever should be brought to the attention of your dad’s doctor – if the underlying cause is not treated promptly there could be severe complications

my dad learned that the hard way – ended up in the hospital on 3 different types of antibiotics for a week

eve

Jimbob

Wendy,
    I would get fevers in the same range along with night sweats. The BMT docs wanted to be called if it went over 100.1F but were not overly concerned if it went down shortly on its own or could be brought down with tylenol in a reasonablee amount of time. We did NOT take tyelonol w/o the docs okay. Three times the temp would not go down and I was told to get ot ER asap. Each time I was subsequently admitted for pnuemonia and spent 4-5 days in hospital.
    Do keep doc on call advised of temps oever 100.1.
    Jim

mommachkate

HI Wendy, Your dad maybe has some kind of infection. Everytime George had fever , he ended up in the hospital with infection. You have to tell his doctor about it.I hope your Dad feels better soon. Kate

txnmomma

ok.. then I am going to call his dr in the morning and let him know. I am not sure that his dr is aware of it. At the appts that I go to-with him, he doesnt mention his fever at night. I dont know what my dad is thinking.

I know fever “generally” means infection. It just doesnt seem right for him to be getting reoccuring fever at night.

Suzanne

Glad you are checking with the Dr. That kind of fever that came back at night meant a fungal infection in my lungs at one time. I too was told to call and always went into the hosp if I had more then a 100.4 when my counts were down. I did have some that were meaningless but those came ,went and did not come back, usually a reaction to a tx or something. Even then they usually had me in overnight to check things out and to be sure there were no problems. I was told not to take Tylenol unless told to by the Dr. when I called in.
    I can’t tell you how nice it is not to worry about those things anymore and to be able to just have a flu bug like anybody else. I get counts tomorrow as they continue to watch to be sure they level off ok off the meds.

eve

dear suzanne

enjoy your new found mental freedom – hope your good health continues to thrive

eve

txnmomma

Well.. we found out where the fever was coming from. After posting this question, I urged my dad to see his dr about it and be upfront with him.

He was hosp. and he was internally bleeding in the lungs. He is on o2 now for a few months with more medical problems.

Thank for all the advice from everyone!

John in GR

Hi Wendy,

Your dad sounds like a typical male. Our first response to a medical situation is to deny that it’s a problem. “It’s ok. Just leave me alone and I’ll be fine. I don’t need a doctor or a hospital”. Sorry, it’s just the way we’re put together. Guy thing. We’re used to being strong and self sufficient. Hate to admit when there’s a problem we need help on.

John

txnmomma

John-

You are SO right.. and what you said was right on the nose!

Men– Gotta love ’em LOL

Seriously, I think he was in denial about it all and didnt think much about the fevers. He got it taken care of- finally and found the problem!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert