MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

74 years old lady with MDS

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board 74 years old lady with MDS

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anand Sah
    Participant

My mother’s is diagnosed for Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) and Erythropoietin was the treatment. In the beginning, Erythropoietin seems to work for my mother but now we are back to the same condition, her Hb is dropping in 2-3 months and she needs blood transfusion. Below are the Hb levels and the treatment (medicines and Injections she was advised).

Then from last 6 months, she is on luspatercept 50 mg injection, however its also not working, the blood transfusion needs to happen every 25-30 days now a days.

Now doctors have confirmed that luspatercept 50 mg injection is not working as well, and so my mother had to be on blood transfusion as long as she lives

Reaching out to this forum to see if there is any treatment available for her, my mom is in India

Joe Catalano
    Participant

When was she first diagnosed? How long was she on the Darpapoetin. an MDS website, they usually will show you a paradigm for treatments, and which one needs to the next.
    I’m not a doctor. I’m a patient, but I’ve seen many steps of treatment following lustpatwrceptand combinations.

Anand Sah
    Participant

She was diagnosed from 2018, first 3 years she was on Wepox injection,
    then from March 2021 she was on Tab Lenalidomide 10 mg OD and Tab Folinext – 1 tab OD
    then from jan 2022, she was Injection Erythropoietin 10,000 IV to continue weekly and Tab Livogen 1 tab OD, stop Lenalidomide
    then from March 2022, she was on Erythropoietin 20,000 IV to continue weekly and Tab Livogen 1 tab OD and Tab Folinext – 1 tab OD,
    then from June 2022, she was on Erythropoietin 40,000 IV to continue weekly and Tab Livogen 1 tab OD and Tab Folinext – 1 tab OD,

Ashley Moncrief

Hello,

Thanks for writing in. There is a lot of activity in MDS related clinical trials right now. There are over 300 open and we are hoping for new drug approvals in the near future. Is your mom interested in clinical trials? If so, we have a team that can help match her with trials ongoing globally.

I don’t know of anything else approved to just treat the anemia. There are medications which target the MDS as a whole. In treating the MDS, it would be the hope that it would improve the anemia with time. You can ask her doctor about hypomethylating agents to see if they feel that it could be an option.

I hope this helps!

Ashley

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert