MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

A Vaccine for MSD?????

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board A Vaccine for MSD?????

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    sugarwhale

Dear friends,
    I read something fascinating,but it’s probably incorrect. I read where Japan has one of the world’s highest rates of Myelodysplasia Syndromes because of the radiation caused by the dropping of the bombs at the end of World War II. Now, the multitudes of Japanese needing blood transfusions for MSD have drained that nation’s blood supply. The Japanese are therefore well on the road to developing a VACCINE for MSD. This was the best news I’ve heard in a long time! Does anyone know anything about this? Please, tell me something encouraging.
    ~~~ Janet

Suzanne

I believe Md Anderson in Texas was also working on a vaccine. There was some news about it about a year ago. Have not heard anything recently. I suspect as usual, it mught help some but not all. Look in the drug trial lists to see if they are running any trials.

Conrad

Hi Janet.
    Seattle Genetics Inc are begining to trial an antibody that may help people with AML or MDS. It’s not quite right to call it a vaccine but if successful would be a way to accurately target hard-hitting chemo to exactly where it is needed. I doubt if it would be useful for everyone but may be excellent for some.
    The link is http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site…307&newsLang=en

It seems that they are still enrolling subjects for the trial if anyone is interested in contacting them.

Conrad

sugarwhale

Dear Conrad,
    Thank you so much for this! Our wonderful oncologist is very progressive. He will certainly allow my mom to have the most updated and effective treatments available. I really had no idea about this though! Thanks again!
    ~~~ Janet

sugarwhale

Dear Suzanne,
    I never even thanked you for replying! I’m sorry! Thank you for telling me about M.D.Anderson in Houston. We will check them out too. I didn’t mean to be rude to you! I’m not a rude person, but I AM scatterbrained! Thanks again, Suzanne!
    ~~~ Janet

gemloyear

Conrad, Thanks so much for the info. This is very interesting for older patients that don’t have many options for treatment. They don’t project how long trials will take, but it is something to be hopeful about.
    Ellie

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert