MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

About my mother

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board About my mother

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    fotis
    Participant

Hi all, my name is fotis and i am from greece, 28 years old. This is about my mother, Sofia, 50 years old. She was diagnosed with MDS this week and i am searching on the subject. The doctor didnt quiet cleared which kind of MDS it was, but from what she said none from the well known ones. She said all 3 blood lines were affected with dysplasia (red,white,..), but there are NO blasts (didnt find anything on the web on this). She said, she will have a council with other doctors, to decide if its best to go for the bone marrow transplant or not, but she also said she may have a free survival without doing nothing (lies for psychological support??).

Any info would be more then welcome…

By the way, glad to meet to you all, even under these circumstances.

*Sorry for my english

willie

fotis You should read all of the correspondence at this web site. They cover nearly all of the topics. Did they check for blasts in her blood tests or in a bone marrow test? Willie

patti

Hi Fotis,

It will help you when you get more information from your mom’s doctor. If all three blood lines are effected I would be surprised if they say she can go without treatment. Maybe a “watch and wait” scenario, but eventually she would probably need treatment. Not having excess blasts is a good thing. Blasts are immature cells that eventually differentiate into the three cell lines. But too many immature cells is bad thing. I believe the normal amount a healthy person has is less then 5%.

Hang in there. This is a difficult time. I would recommend you read, read, read all that you can right now. It will help you. You can do a search of this forum by clicking the search button in the top right corner.

patti

bill4872

Fotis-

Its a very difficult disease to understand and come to terms with.

I suggest you ask the patient liaison at this MDS Foundation to send you their information packet. In it is a really excellent little book called “Understanding Myelodylastic Syndromes: A Patient Handbook”. It explains everything in clear simple language.

And, as already suggested, read everything you can get a hold of. This forum is great for asking questions and seeing what other peeople are doing.

Bill

fotis
    Participant

Thank you all for your answers, its really supportive.

Mom has MDS-RCMD (refactory cytopenia with multilineage dysplasia). I was reading for hours on the web and i pretty much understand most of the terms and have a better view of the situation now.

I wish the best for everyone. I will check the forum as often as i can.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert