MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Ankle & Leg Swelling

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Ankle & Leg Swelling

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Lillian Evans
    Participant

Has anyone had trouble with their ankle and leg swelling. Had an ultra sound. No signs of a blood clot. Had a little bit of a problem before the diagnosis but never thought much about it. It seems to be getting worse. Could the Dacogen be making it worse or is it a result of MDS ?

diana
    Participant

Checked Dacogen: ankle swelling is not one of the side effect. I had MDS for a few months. Never experienced ankle swelling. I am currently in remission after six cycles of Vidaza.
    Among other causes, too much salt or too little salt might cause ankle swelling. Did you get your blood sodium checked?
    Please elevate your legs a few times a day. Message may help too!

stacey
    Participant

Lillian,
    Two months ago I started with small swellings behind both knees. Went to see PCP about 2 weeks ago, and he noticed my right knee was swollen. Had x-rays on right knee which mostly showed osteoarthritis. Since then, both legs from the knee down have started to feel heavy and as if they are retaining fluid. If they are swollen, it is both of them. It is worse in the evening after being on my feet most of the day. My legs feel almost like weights are attached and ache. Sometimes my ankles ache too, even when I lie in bed. I don’t know if the knee and leg issues are a problem with my knee (like a tear), related to the revlimid medicine (such as deep vein thrombosis), caused by MDS, arthritis, or what. The orthopedic surgeon ordered an MRI on my knee and an ultrasound on the veins in my legs, and hopefully I’ll find out more after those tests next week. I hope your swelling goes down. I assume your legs feel heavy and sometimes tingly like mine do. Take care. -Stacey

Lillian Evans
    Participant

Stacey, My leg does not feel heavy or tingly, it just feels tight around the ankle. I have increased my water intake and that has helped some. As long as it doesn’t hurt I guess I will just take a wait and see approach. Dr. thought it might have something to do with me being off my blood pressure medicine. Once I started treatment for the MDS my blood pressure has been pretty low so they took me off of the medicine. Blood pressure has stayed really good.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert