MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Any had platelet transfusion reaction?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Any had platelet transfusion reaction?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Davea

I had a bad reaction to a platelet transfusion today. Received 1 unit of RBC and then started to receive platelets. I immediatly started feeling lower back pane and got flush and short of breath. The platelets were turned off and I returned to normal after about 1/2 hour. Will try again tomorrow. Has anyone an idea what would cause this and what to do to avoid it? Dave A

Neil

Hi Dave,
    Have them give you 2 Tylenol and Benadryl about 30-45 min before the Platelet TX. It usually prevents an allergic reaction.
    You might ask if the platelets were matched correctly. A delicate question, but —-

sarah

Dave, hope all goes well tomorrow.
    Sarah

Vance

Yes, Dave. Awhile back my wife Ruby recieved 2 bags of platelets, the first went fine, but the second made her very ill, pain, shortness of breath, and bad nausea. They did give her benadryl and something else before, but she still had a reaction. This is the only time that this has happened.

DonUK

Hi Dave – Karen always has reaction to platelets (not as bad symptoms as you – she starts coughing and itching). They give her cortisone and piriton (ant-allergies I believe) every time before the platelets. Red’s have always been fine.

Jimbob

Dave, I did have reactions last year when I wqs getting numerous transfusions. The tylenol and benedrayl combination prior to any platelett transusions seems to do the job. Jim

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert