MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Blasts ?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Lydia

Mom just had another BMT after 2 years. Her blasts went from 2% to 4%. We’re upset of course but expected it as her tx’s are getting closer. Then I’ve read here that other’s blasts are 10% – and no mentioned of leukemia. As the blasts rise -do you get closer to developing leukemia? Thought leukemia concerned the white not the red. I going with mom to her next appt. but would appreciate any comments. She’s upset and not listening I think or asking questions.

What is the deal with these blasts ?

patti

Lydia,

Mom has had greater than 30% blasts in her marrow since her diagnosis and she is still not considered to be leukemic. I know that new numbers came out and they were saying that anyone with 20% blasts but if someone doesn’t have leukemic symptoms I’m not sure how they can state that definatively for everyone. Not everyone’s whites go up with leukemia. I think it might be Suzanne that said hers stayed low??? Maybe she can confirm or correct this for us. Blasts aren’t red cells. Blasts are immature cells. And I just had a brain cramp and can’t remember the rest. Geez. Sorry, it’s getting late.

I suppose techically you’d say as the blasts rise you could be getting closer to leukemia but only about 30% of MDS patients transform to AML. The risk depends on what type of MDS she has. Is she RAEB? I can’t remember, I’m sorry. I believe the greatest risk of leukemia is for RAEB type – but I think all types can transform, it’s just not as likely.

If it’s possible for you to go to all of her appts. I would encourage you to do so. We have a notebook that we keep track of mom’s counts, doctors orders, notes, etc. It’s very helpful to look back on because the stress of being there is enough to make one forget. We also write down questions in it before we go so we don’t forget to ask.

Take care.

patti

Neil

Hi Lydia,
    Less than 5% blasts in the marrow is typical in those with RA and RARS. When blasts begin increasing it is time to look at other options.
    Simply stated, blasts are immature white cells that may crowd out red cells and platelets if the blast increase is rapid.
    Transformation to leukemia may or may not occur.
    Remember AML involves a decrease in WBC.
    CML involves in increase in WBC. If CML is involved AND a Philadelphia chromosome is present, many patients will respond to Gleevec.
    At this point it would be prudent to speak to her hemo and discuss how he/she plans to keep her blasts from increasing in the marrow and from entering her peripheral blood.
    Many patients get along very well with 4% blasts in the marrow—-as long as they do not tend to increase.

Suzanne

Yes, mine went down. Started with white cells and in the end all three lines-white, red and platelets. My understanding is that all the diseases except CML and CMML envolve the lines going down. That does not prevent the “blasts” going up. Like Neil said they are immature cells.I believe ther can be healthy immature cells that are going to mature-why under 5% can be OK. As it was explained to me the blasts they are measuring are the cells that are defective and will not mature. They can be present in the marrow and out in the blood. And as they increase they are cloning themselves and eventually “clog” up the marrow so it cannot function. With me they considered 20% leukemic. I moved from 20% to 75% pretty quickly. A confusing point is that they have told me that when they do a BMB they are looking for two distinctly different types of cells MDS and Leukemia. They always talk about them as two diseases. I know from the talks I have gone to that the distinction re when one has progressed to leukemia from MDS is a gray area.
    I will be going to a lecture at Hopkins May 11 with all the Doctors I was envolved in presenting on treatment updates and new developments for both MDS and AML.

lucym

suzanne,
    Can anyone go to the lecture on May 11?
    Lucy

Suzanne

I believe so . Call Laura Bakis at 443-287-2541 to register. Thursday May 11 5:30-8Pm at the Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins -Weinberg Auditorium. All the doctors but one that are presenting were involved in treating me and I probably saw him on rounds in the hospital. Topic is New Horizons: Treatment and Advances for Myelodysplastic Syndrome and Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. Light dinner provided, complimentary parking provided in the underground garage .

Jerry

Suzanne …

I will be out of the country for that session (not to mention that I live in Ohio) but I wonder if you get a chance if you could ask a question for me. I have been increasingly concerned with the near-prescription of “natural” products for our diseases. We have now had specific listings of herbal medicines and Chinese herbs which are proclaimed to do marvelous things for the body. If you can, would you ask the doctors if ANY of the new treatments and developments have anything to do with herbal remedies. I am just so afraid that someone will try anything to beat these diseases that they will end up hurting themselves. Thanks a bunch.

Jerry

frank
    Participant

Jerry,

i did ask the Johns Hopkins about the herbal remedies, it seems they don’t have any idea on it either. but they told me that “if you felt okey, then don’t stop.”.
    From my knowledge, the dieasease is not curable from any medication now, but somehow, there are someone claimed that they are getting better by using the herbal medication, there are no “right or wrong” on the issue, since all is kind of medication, just make sure you don’t have side effect, and your body is getting better and not worse.

Frank

Suzanne

My impression is that John’s Hopkins is open minded about such things. I think they even have an office or department of alternative treatments. I know they don’t know for sure that anything works in that vein. They only mentioned to me exercise and very healthy eating, and care of myself, and positive attitute. I always kept all treatment-drugs etc- at the minimum of what was necessary and I never did any of the alternatives just because I wanted them to have a totally clear picture of how my body was reacting to treatments they were doing. Luckily from the beginning my own body seemed to want to fight & win if it was just given enough of a chance. I hope it stays that way. I will ask if I get a chance. I know my nurse practitioner leans towards natural remedies and will answer an emailed question.

Lydia

Thanks everyone for responding. Once again, what would we do without this forum ?

We could search and search for answers, but it sure is much quicker just asking here!

Suzanne, looking forward to you keeping us up-to-date after the lecture at Hopkins May 11.

TEMBO

Hello, I have just found this site. My husband has been diagnosised with mds. Would someone kindly share what are the herbal remedies mentioned? We would be very interested in possible natural remedies? So far good eating habits, vitamin sup., etc. have not been enough.

Many Thanks,
    God Bless,
    Karen

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert