MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Blood irradiation, post-transfusion & natural healing advice?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Blood irradiation, post-transfusion & natural healing advice?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    athena36
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I’ve long lurked on this forum and have been so very grateful for all that I’ve learned here. We’re on public health and never get enough time with the haematologist, so it’s been really helpful to be able to browse your wealth of discussions. I’ve gained so much from reading all your wisdom and encouragement, and the discussions here have long made me feel less alone, though I’ve never quite got up the courage to write anything till now!

My mum has been on “watch and wait” for a few years now, and though she hasn’t felt well, she previously only had to have a transfusion one time – after surgery complications, not due to natural depletion. 

After an intensely stressful period, she just had to have a transfusion this weekend (very low HGB & low WBC on routine blood test). She received 3 units of irradiated blood – I asked about it, and apparently it was recommended. But I’m a bit worried she might have been better off with non-irradiated blood because of her low neutrophils.

It’s been a long, taxing weekend. I’m hoping everything will be better from now on and am determined to help her as much as possible by doubling down on nutrition, supplements, exercise etc. 

If any of you have any light at all to shed on any of the below questions, I’d be so grateful! I’m sorry to bombard you with so many at once… 

1) I know irradiated blood is often recommended because it reduces the risk of GVHD (and also infections due to antibodies?). But if you have a low WBC count, does that usually mean irradiated blood is contraindicated? (I realise this is an ignorant question, but the information I’ve had so far has been a bit confusing.) 

Does anyone here get irradiated blood transfusions even though you are low on WBCs?From what I’ve managed to glean, most blood transfusions are leukoreduced even if they aren’t irradiated – for safety purposes…?

2) Do any of you have some tips on raising the RBC &/or WBC counts naturally (at least until we have drugs available, which may be some time – for multiple reasons)? I’ve seen some wonderful previous discussions on raising RBC & platelet counts, but don’t know much about improving the WBC (esp. neutrophil) count. 

3) Do you have any general advice on what to do after transfusions? We’ll be seeing the haematologist (briefly, as usual) this coming week, but because it was the weekend there wasn’t enough time to consult the hospital doctor properly so until then… at a bit of a loss. Is low/moderate-intensity exercise okay? Anything particular one should be eating or not eating?

For how long is it normal to feel a bit weak and tired post-transfusion? Mum barely got any sleep this weekend, so this may be a factor… she also has other health problems. She’s looking much healthier but still not feeling so good, as mentioned before. Might that be because the irradiated blood isn’t as effective as non-irradiated somehow?

I think that’s all! Sorry for length. I would be grateful for any advice or encouragement at all. 

Wishing you all the very best. It isn’t easy.

P.S. I tried posting this before, realised I made a mistake and went to edit, but after that my message apparently disappeared, hence posting again – I hope that’s alright.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert