MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Bone marrow biopsies very painful

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Bone marrow biopsies very painful

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    robert rogus
    Participant

My 75 year old husband is being considered for a trial study on rigosertib. Frequent bone marrow biopsies are necessary. He experiences a lot of pain with these tests. Can anyone offer any information about making these tests more tolerable. He may opt out of the trial because of this. Thank you

garsch
    Participant

I’ve had 3 bone marrow biopsys in the hip and they are extremely painful. Main reason, I believe is because its difficult to numb the area sufficiently and the bone is so deep. They can numb the area but once they get to the bone, the constant grinding back and forth attempting to get through the bone is painful. Every biopsy I have had, the individual performing the biopsy had difficulty getting through the bone. Either the tool would slip on the bone or they had difficulty boring through the bone. Not to mention the pain involved in extracting the marrow. Recently I was required to get another bone marrow and I told my Doctor no way I want to be put asleep. He told me that he would do the biopsy, and he would go through the sternum. I was anxious about this initially because I read all the negatives about the precision required in this type of biopsy but I believe in my Doctor so I did it. I have to say I was amazed because the entire process was done in like 10 minutes vs an hour to and hour in a half by the hip method and the sternum biopsy had very little pain.

rar
    Participant

I had about a dozen BMB. Most of them was no worse than a mosquito bite. On one the local anesthetic didn’t work and hurt pretty bad. Find a NP who knows how to give a anesthetic shot and stay with them.

Ray

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert