MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Can I share my dad's story with you?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Can I share my dad's story with you?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    LisainOk

You all have been such a wonderful support to me and so I just wanted to share this story with you. Dad was diagnosed in late October with MDS. A little less than three months later he has gone to Heaven.

We believe that he has had mds for nearly two years. He had been sick off and on for every bit of two years. The 8 months previous to being diagosed he had had many transfusions and the doctors were spending a lot of time trying to find a blood leak that didn’t exist. Why no one thought to look for something else until the end is beyond me. He had transitioned into AML.

My mom called me Christmas morning frantic….my dad had been very sick the day before and had been having chest pains. Christmas morning he was literally gasping for air. She called an ambulance and they took him to the hospital. I paced floors all day Christmas feeling guilty that I wasn’t able to enjoy the day and didn’t feel free to play with my children. My folks and I live in different states btw. I myself was becoming frantic and knew I needed to be there. My van was on the fritz~no where open to get a rental car of course. Well that day came and went. Dad seemed to improve somewhat. The heart doctor thought that he had had a heart attack. Later he said that he didn’t. His kidneys had failed though. The day after Christmas I got up and packed. I was sincerely hoping my husband would find a way to get me there! Still no rental car places open for the holiday so he got out there and worked on my van for several hours. By the time it was ready to go, I had decided to wait until the next morning as I knew I’d have to drive several hours in the dark and I am practically blind at night. As soon as I said I’m waiting until morning, I felt as if I’d been shoved and the next thing I knew I was on my way to Arkansas, dark or not! I’m sure it was the Holy Spirit prompting me to go now….
    When I got there my dad was completely unaware of anything. Once I was able to get him to open his eyes but it was like he wasn’t there anymore. Very haunting look. My head knew he wasn’t going to make it through the night but I believe my heart was having a hard admitting that. Heknew that I was there. He knew I was going to take care of my mom. I told him it was ok….he could go home now. I told him I loved him. And it was barely an hour later and he passed away.

This has been extremely difficult. The Rosary service and the funeral were absolutely beautiful.I wrotea poem for my dad about a month before he died. When my mom sends it back to me, I will share it with you all so that you can have a glimpse of what kind of man he was. His life was truly a testimony to hundreds of people. More people came up to me and hugged me and thanked me for the impact he had on their lives~right up to the last day he was still asking friends and family if they were ok and what they needed. Never once a complaint out of his mouth. He will be dearly missed…my heart aches because I miss him and my heart aches for my mom who loved him more than anything, but at the same time I rejoice that he is in heaven and God has taken away the suffering.

Make every day count.I can’t say that enough. If you have something to say or need to make peace with someone you love who is going through this, do it now. Don’t wait. Once you’ve lost someone it’s too late. Perhaps not knowing that he had mds for almost two years was a blessing in disguise. We didn’t dwell on the sickness until we knew for sure. Of course we were concerned and it was often talked about and prayed over but it didn’t become the absolute focus of our lives until almost the end. And then the Lord gave just enough time to prepare and reap a harvest of blessings because of this awful disease. I could write a book on the blessings that have come from this. Much healing has taken place in our family. Thanks be to God. Memories are precious. Make memories with those you love.

I’ll pop in often to check on you all and continue to pray for my friends here. May the Lord abundantly bless the journey that you are taking. May He give strength and comfort to the downhearted. May he give you peace like a river….

Love Lisa

concern

Dear Lisa,

Your sadness reminds me of my sadness.. and the way my dad passed away too. Its soo sad.. I can feel your grief.. my dad’s kidneys failed too!! Even till today I am trying to understand why God makes us love someone so much and then takes them away from us… then I think of all those people who died because of the tsunami… they did not even know it was coming.. they did not even have time to tell each other that they loved each other..

Just be a source of strength to your mom and I can only hope God gives you the strength.

Concern

mommachkate

Dear Lisa,Your story about your Father bringing tears to my eyes, I do feel your pain, I lost my father 20 years ago. He was also a wonderfull person.You are truly blessed, with having a father like yours, and all that love he gave everybody. Be strong for your Mom and all those beautifull memories keep Him alive in your heart. My thoughts are with you. Kate

Terri

Lisa, Thank you for sharing and I know your father has found peace and is free of pain. He has moved to Heaven but is still with you and your family to watch over you. Everything you said is so true, You need to make every day count.

God Bless you

KATHY1

Lisa, I’m crying reading your story. My mom passed away in October. She was in the hospital for about a week but once my sister came up from Virginia and after we showede her pictures of her grandchildren who were not allowed to visit, only then did she feel enough peace to let go. I am so sorry for your loss. I’ll be looking for your poem.

Kathy

Jimbob

Lisa, I am sorry for your loss but you have shown us that even in the tie of such a great loss there can be many gains. I am thankful that you have shared with us. Jim

Naomi

Lisa:
    Thanks for your wonderful article on you father.
    It brought tears to my eyes. I hope when my time is here that I can have the same peace.
    Naomi

Suzanne

I second that!

shirlsgirl

Thank you so much for sharing your story! Jody

Donna

How wonderful that your dad was so loved. Sometimes, all our loved ones need to hear when it is time is, it’s ok to let go. Very special that you were the one who whispered those words to him. I’m sure he will be missed.

Donna

Bec

Dear Lisa,

Thank you so much for sharing your Dad’s wonderful story and spirit with us. My only hope is that your wonderful memories of him will help ease your pain. Your Dad sounds so much like mine. My Dad told us to celebrate at Chucky Cheese when he goes on to heaven. I loved the suggestion that someone made on this site to celebrate your loved ones birthday by going to their favorite restaurant.

My heart breaks for you but rejoices for you because you know your Dad is in a wonderful place.

Take Care of You

Bec

VIOLA

Dear Lisa! I’m crying too reading your story!
    I beleive that Your Dad is still with you and your family! I will think and pray about You anf You all family!!!
    Take Care of You
    Viola

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert