MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Canadians and Vidaza

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Canadians and Vidaza

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

We have successfully brought a great big parcel of the contraband drug, Vidaza, across the border. It was a bit hair raising; I am cursed with an honest nature, and when asked the value of the goods being brought across I fessed up – $6,000 is such an impressive sum!

That led to a pit stop at customs, and a call to Health Canada by the Customs agents. Health Canada gave permission to let it through. The agents suggestsed two avenues for future; one was to get a letter of permission to bring it in, the other was to lie at the check point. In futre I’ll try the letter of permission first. Lying still doesn’t sit quite right. (That really is a curse, make no mistake about it!)

Luke took a Special Access Program application form to his oncologist who has agreed to fill it out and FAX it to Health Canada on Monday. I have done what I can to pave the way. I spoke to a Pharmion rep, who advised me that the corporation is now more open to releasing the drug as a compassionate venture. I wrote to health Cabana updating them about the change, and asked them to act. Now I have my border adventures to add to the mix, as well as an official request for release. I pray that this will go through, and that we don’t have to worry about fundraising another 50,000 bucks. But if we have to, we will.

If you are Canadian and think this option might be for you, here is the web site for the Speical Access Program. There is a form for your doctore on the site.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/acces/index_e.html

Meanwhile, the first week of treatment is sitting safely in my house. Luke is busy chewing three cloves of raw garlic per day to knock out any viruses, and taking all of his supplements to be as strong as he can.

So here we go.
    Margaret

Sandy L

Margaret,
    What a story! You should start a book. That would raise the $50000, I hope this works.

Ani

Margaret,

Forgive me but I had to smile!! As a fellow Canadian I could just imagine you lined up at the border. Did you need to pay GST and duty on the Vidaza?
    Prayers and thoughts are with you both.
    Ani

Hi Ani
    No, but I was worried about that. I was trying to calculate what the GST/PST was going to be on $7,000 CN, and wondering if the price of a hotel room in Buffalo for Luke for a week would be as bad! smile
    M

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert