MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

CAT SCAN

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sarah

Charlie is having a CAT SCAN scheduled. Does anyone know what to expect with this? He feels that he will be ok going alone.

JulieMarie

Sarah,

I had an MRI the other year and have been told CAT Scans are pretty much the same. For the MRI I had to lay on a table all still go into this tub thing and they did things very much like x-rays on my head,I was having vision problems and they had to rule out a brain tumor. I was suppose to have both but the MRI told the dr. enough information and I didn’t have to have the CAT Scan. I’m unsure the true difference in a CAT Scan and a MRI but if I wasn’t already in the hopsital at the time I could have went alone, but perfer on having someone with me for moral support. My parents were at the hospital with me at that time so they went down with me. I know medical issues are tough to go through, if your husband wants to go alone I would say that it would be ok, usually the tests don’t come back for a while (I think I got my MRI results the next morning when the dr. made his rounds). Hope this helps.

Kathryn

Sarah, I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking about you and Charlie and wishing you both the best.

Take care,

Kathryn

Suzanne

I think what I had in the hospital was a cat scan. It was very simple just a stretcher going into a doughnut shaped ring and moving up and down a little while they took xrays-no claustrophobic tube like an MRI.

frank
    Participant

CAT is the same as MRI, i had 2 during my hospital stay, you shouldn’t worry on it, quite simple and easy things, they will inject a kind of drug into your body and make the image more clear on the spots, maybe the stuff is not a small potion, but it won’t hurt you any.

Frank

Terri

Sarah, Bob Can’t have MRI’s do to the magnets. He has metal in his body and They pins he has are old so the MRI would pull them out. He can only have Cat Scans he had several when first diagnosed on the spleen, stomach, lungs .
    It is not that long of a test and pretty simple like Suzanne indicated. I did go with Bob but not that he could not handle I just like to keep track of everything in case he forgets something they say or forgets something to ask.

Not all Cat Scans are done with the Dye I forget the technical name, but has had both as well and really the test is simple.
    I look forward to hearing some good news.

Terri

Ok I remember it is with or without Contrast is how they order the Catscan with or without the Dye

Suzanne

They were checking my lungs for the fungal infection problem and I had no dye

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert