MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Chemo now or in three weeks?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Chemo now or in three weeks?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    hope&faith

I’m just wondering if by delaying Chemo by 3 or so weeks to be where he wants to be for the holidays – is this detrimental to my Father in Laws health, today he say the hematologist who would like him in soon as possible, (he’s been diagnosed with MDS RAEB 12% blasts) they say he’s one of the lucky few who with chemo will be good for some more years, is this okay to delay or what?

Suzanne

This has got to be his decision but I personally would not wait if doctors that have a lot of experience with MDS are advising otherwise. A lot can change quickly with this disease. Are you talking about heavy chemo where he would be in the hospital for the whole holiday or something else that just has some inconveniences and maybe side effects involved? Is he being treated at a Center of Excellence?

Neil

Waiting has some risks. Blasts can increase at any point. He does not want them to increase and he does not want them to get into his peripheral blood.
    Waiting 3 weeks will increase the risks involved.
    A difficult decision, but what is most important? The short term or the long term?

CarolineG

If the doctor says that it is important for your father-in-law to come in right away, I would take him seriously. Things can change with these diseases very quickly. Sometimes, time wasted can not be retrieved. If your Father-in-law insists on waiting a few weeks, maybe you could phone the hemotologist and discuss the situation. He will be able to tell you how quickly things are progressing and how much time you can afford to put this off.

Good luck,

Caroline

hope&faith

The chemo is 1 week with a 3 week hospital stay afterwards

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert