MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

could use some advice

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board could use some advice

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    patti

Hi. I have been a lurker here for quite some time. Mainly trying to gather information for my mother-in-law. She is RAEB-t with greater then 30% blasts. We have pretty much gone the natural route since last August and she feels great most of the time. Still, she’s transfusion dependent and we lose about two weeks off of every transfusion. She started out 12 weeks apart and now we are at 3 weeks apart.

We are at a crossroads and trying to decide on Vidaza or not. Do you upset the apple cart when she’s feeling well right now and basically already outlived the prognosis of 4-6 months? Or do you leave well enough alone? This is really a hard decision. I have been reading everything I can about Vidaza but I still don’t feel like I have enough info to help her make this decision. I should say there’s an extraneous factor that affects our decision. She has a 47yr old daughter that she cares for (I will eventually care for her) that she has always prayed for God to let her care for her. She doesn’t want to do anything that will shorten that time. I know a lot of you have written about your vidaza experiences in different emails but I would be so grateful if you wouldn’t mind doing it again so I can compile it all and take it to her. She is a mom to me and we’ll be grateful for whatever time God gives us with her but being armed with information to pray over right now would be helpful.

Thanks for your openness here. Although I’ve been a lurker for a long time, I’ve gleaned a lot of info.

Patti

Terri

Patti, Check my post that I left for Murphy whos topic was should I start Vidaza and upset things.
    I have posted quite a lot on Bob’s experiences with the drug.

Good Luck and God Bless

Jimbob

Patti,
    Is your mother-in-law being treated thru the BMT clinic at OHSU? or is by a local hemotologist? You want to get the best that you can and OHSU is so close to Scappoose. You should be able to get all the info available thru them. Even if you are not a patient there, ask for info thru socal services or if you can have access to the patient (and family) library accross the hall form social services at the OHSU BMT clinic.
    I am 14 months+ after SCT at OHSU. That did cure me but now I am working to repair what the treatments did. Still getting better.
    Jim

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert