MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Creatinine

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Creatinine

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Terri
    You’re right, I had it backwards. If Luke eats too many leafy green veggies (high in vitamin K) his warfarin has to be increased to compensate.

There doesn’t seem to be any connection between his INR/ clotting rate and his platelet count. Luke’s platelets are generally within the normal range. I have no idea of they actually have anything to do with one another; I may need to take a degree in hemotology!
    M

gemloyear

Hi Margaret, I don’t fully understand it either.There has to be some connection between platelets and INR prothrombin time for clotting. Glen has been troubled by blood clots in his leg on and off since last may. When his platelets were very low the Dr. wouldn’t give him coumadin or lovenox to prevent the clots as she said his blood was already thin enough. Over the last few months his platelets have come up within the normal range.The blood clots( DVT) reappeared in sept.And the doc at that time said because his platelets were normal he could now be treated with the coumadin (warfarin) and lovenox injections.His clots eventually disolved only to reappear in 2 weeks. He has been fighting blood clots for the past 2 months, more inj. and permanently on coumadin.Thank goodness by some miracle his platelets have remained up. He has sure gotten tired of all of the rest with his leg elevated. For now the clots are gone. One needs to be careful with various foods, natural diet when on medications. We have always loved greens and raw veg. and fruit. It’s hard to follow special diets that don’t allow some of these.
    By the way I appreciate your sense of humor in your postings. It helps to relieve some of the stress in our very serious situations. I do a lot of reading but I don’t seem to retain as much as when I was younger. You’re right about needing a degree, I get the same feeling.
    Take care Ellie

Caroline

Hi All,

Dad has been given Vitamin K shots in hospital to lower his potassium which is at 6. That is critically high.

His Creatinine levels are at 600 and rising….also critically high

His white blood count has gone from 12 000 to 25 000 in 2 weeks.

Caroline

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert