MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Dad/Trisenox update

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Dad/Trisenox update

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Kathryn

Hey everyone,

well, I thought I would share the latest on my dad and his treatment…

The Trisenox is apparently working! Could buy us some time afterall. The med. unfortunately brings everything down as it works though….Last week he had IV treatment for 5 days. For the next 4 weeks it will only be twice a week. Last Tuesday he had a tx. of platelets and on Thurs. they were up to 20,000. He was anemic though, 9.1, so he had a blood tx. of 2 units on Sat.. Yesterday his platelet count had dropped down to 2,000, so needless to say, he had another tx.. I am wondering if he is becoming tx. dependent, but I am hoping that it is more a result of the med… His white count was down another 2000 to 20,000…. which is good. Supposedly it won’t work for long… it is just a “bandaid”, but hopefully he will be feeling better once this round ends and we can make a memory or two. smile

As always, I am wishing you all the very best and hope your day is a good one.

xo,

Kathryn

Suzanne

I am glad things look a little better. Enjoy making those memories.

Terri

Thanks for sharing and I hope this treatment works and your dad starts feeling better

mommachkate

Hi Kathryn
    I am glad that the treatment works, and hopefully your Dad will get better and you will have plenty of time to make more memories. Best wishes:Kate

sarah

Ksthryn, hope treatment works for your dad, and he feels better soon.
    Sarah

Kathryn

confused Well, the past couple of days have been very difficult for my dear dad. Monday he was understandably wiped out by that evening, however it has progressively gotten worse. He slept most of the day yesterday and today, and each day he is feeling worse. Thankfully he goes to the doc. tomorrow for counts, etc….. I am hoping that he will share some of the possible side effects he has been feeling w/ the doc. or his nurse. It concerns me that he has another 3 weeks of treatment and he is already feeling so horrible. He will also have his second dose for the week tomorrow…. each dose seems to make the side effects more apparent. Is this truly leading him to being able to have some quality of life? He only has a two week break before possibly starting another round…… I hope that they consider this closely tomorrow….. I suppose the numbers will be another factor as well. I hope it is worth it….

I’ve got all this nervous energy and needed to talk….. thanks for listening….

I’m sure I’ll be updating again tomorrow.

Have a lovely evening,

Kathryn

shirlsgirl

Kathryn,

I’m so sorry about your Dad. Hope it is only temporary and that his numbers improve. It must be so difficult. Best of luck tomorrow, we’ll be thinking of you and your Dad.

Take care,

Jody

Ensnee

Kathryn, I’m sorry your Dad is struggling so. We’ve been there. Sending your Dad all the healing vibes I can muster.

many hugs,
    Esme

Kathryn

Hello everyone… first let me say that I am sorry that my posts aren’t the most positive… I do try and I tried to be at the beginning of this topic, but I seem to always get yanked back to confusion and worries. I suppose a large part of why is the stage my father is in, but I am determined to keep the positive thoughts going. It is just that roller coaster ride we keep referring to….

Well, his white counts were down a little more, but he has been bleeding a lot, even though he rec’d. platelets on Monday, so we knew his platelets were low. The doc. told him that his body is beginning to make antibodies against the new platelets… When my dad asked what would happen when the transfusions don’t work any more, he said “ask me then”…. Avoiding the answer is not a good way to respond. He will have another transfusion tomorrow. The doc. also said that the Trisenox usually takes about 3 weeks to start working…. It has only been 1 week… What does that mean? Weird huh!?! Nothing ever makes logical sense….. Could it be residual effects from the Vidaza?

Anyway, that is my update for today… I am still hopeful for that memory making time… in the meantime though, I am trying to make the best of what we have got.

I really appreciate being able to share w/ you all….. Cheaper than therapy! wink

xo,

Kathryn

sarah

Hi Kathryn, sorry to hear your dad is having a difficult time. Will keep you both in our thoughts and prayers. Hang tough!

Neil

Hi Kathryn,
    You might ask the docs if they are using irradiated and single donor platelets.
    Irradiation tends to eliminate antibodies and single donor tx seem to respond better.
    Neil

mommachkate

Hi Kathryn, I am so sorry about your Father condition. I sent you two e-mail, I wonder if you got any of them. I hope the doctors will be able to do something to help your Father. My best wishes Kate

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert