MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Do low platelets always mean something bad?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Do low platelets always mean something bad?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    SusanJ

Hello friends,

I feel like I’m losing my mind. Yesterday my 45-year-old husband went to the doctor for routine blood work and a check-up. His bloodwork was good except for his platelets. They were very low – 47. He is going back tomorrow for a recheck. His doctor said maybe the machine glitched, but if not, he will send him to an oncologist. I’m terrified! I can’t believe this could be happening, I can’t lose my husband and my daddy!!!!!! Do low platelets always mean that something bad is happening? Why would he send him to an oncologist if he didn’t think he might have cancer? My husband said the doctor told him not to worry. I want to kill myself!

shirlsgirl

Hi Susan,

Please try not to worry. I think the most common diagnosis, when there is a low platelet count, is ITP (Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura). It’s an immune condition where the body’s immune system destroys platelets. Especially if the platelets are the only blood line affected, or if everything else is normal. The oncologist will rule out other conditions that cause low platelets. Here’s an amazing site with alot of helpful info and a discussion forum also:

http://www.pdsa.org

Take care,

Jody

shirlsgirl

oh forgot to mention that one can live a long and full life with ITP!!!

Jimbob

Susan,
    Stop! Take a deep breath. It may mean nothing at all. Platelets make up a very small portion of the blood. That is one of the reasons that tey are hard to count. Further, they look pretty much like debris that may be in the blood. Also, they just might not be in a large representation in the blood sample that was taken. It is likely that the doctor suggested an oncologist just to make sure and to do a much more in-depth look. Also, they might want to do a bone marrow aspiration, just to make sure that all is indeed well. Take a look at this site for more info on blood components.
    Praying that all will go well,
    Jim

http://web2.airmail.net/uthman/blood_cells.html

ps: The info on ITP was not posted when I wrote my reply. When you go to the ITP site, make sure you check out the following page:
    http://www.itppeople.com/FAQAdults.htm

It does explain why BMA is done. Also what the symptoms of ITP are. Again, it may be nothing to worry about especially if your husband has not had the low count show up in previous CBCs and has not had easy brusing.

SusanJ

Jody and Jim,

God bless you both for trying to calm me down and give me much needed info. I am trying not to worry, but that’s hard to do. All I have been dealing with during my daddy’s illness has nearly driven me crazy, now to think that something could be wrong with my husband who is my rock and my strength. I can’t do it. Please pray for us. I pray for you daily.

Caroline

Susan,

Stay positive until you know the results. A second reading could be perfectly normal. Keep in touch. I’ll keep praying.

Caroline

sarah

Susan, I know what you are going through, its not easy. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Its most difficult to stay focused and positive.

Russ

Dear Susan, my granddaughter has ITP. Since it was dx’d, Ive wondered my genes contributed to an immune system problem. Have heart she has given birth to 2 healthy gr-grandchildren in the past 2 years and the low platelets have not slowed her down. My prayers for you annd yours.

SusanJ

Hello dear friends,

Today my husband’s blood tests were normal. Thank God! Finally a little good news. The doctor said that the machine must have glitched. He wants to retest in 2 weeks though, just to be sure. Thank you for all of your prayers and for being so understanding of a crazy woman!

Susan

shirlsgirl

Yay! That’s great news Susan!

Jimbob

Now remember to take a deep breath the next time you think what has happened is more than you can bare. Then consider the possible good things that could still ocurr.
    Jim

Caroline

Crazy Woman.

See??? Even the machines and computers can make errors.

I’m happy for your husband….and you too.

Blessings,
    Caroline

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert