MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

does anyone know what these pains might be?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board does anyone know what these pains might be?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    patti

Hi,

You all were so helpful last time I thought I could throw another question your way. For the last two days mom has been having some pretty bad stomach pain. Does anyone know what it might be caused by? Her platelets are around 19k but I didn’t think that was low enough to cause internal bleeding. Not sure though. At her last check the doctor said she didn’t have any swelling in any of her organs so I’m not sure it would be that (unless that happens all of a sudden). We’ll ask her doctor when we go again but if there’s something I can do in the meantime to help her I’d like to. Any suggestions as to what this might be and how to treat it? Thank you.

patti

Joannie

HI Patti,

My dad suffered for quite some time with stomach pain. It seemed to occur more after he ate. It got to the point where he just didn’t want to eat. The doctors weren’t sure what the problem was. He ended up, on his own, taking a drug that my sister takes for irratable bowel syndrome. The doctors knew he was trying it and said it couldn’t hurt. It ended up relieving his pain and after a time he no longer needed to take it. Not sure if that was what dad had or just whatever was in the meds treated what dad had anyway. JOan

gemloyear

Hi Patti, Your Mom should go to her primary care Doc now. THe pain may not be related to the MDS at all. I guess we tend to think that all symptoms are connected to the Mds. when many times they’re not. Our primary Doc always seems to point us in the right direction. Good luck.
    Ellie

patti

Thanks. We saw mom’s doctor today and she was no help at all. She checked mom for appendicitis and a bladder infection. Both negative. Then she just shook her head and said she didn’t know. I asked the doc if it was possible she could have some slow internal bleeding (her last platelet count was 19K) and the doctor blew that off and said internal bleeding doesn’t hurt. I talked to a neighbor that’s a retired nurse and she said that’s a bold face lie. Internal bleeding does hurt and it doesn’t always show up right away in the bowel.

Joan, I just read how your father died. That is so hard. I have been praying that my MIL would not go home to the Lord without someone being there. I have a retarded SIL that will come to my care and I can’t stand the thought of her being all alone when mom goes. Bleeding has been top on my mind for that.

Thanks for the input ladies.

Jimbob

Patti
    I have heard that a nunber of folks have added probiotics to their regimen. Here is a link for info and purchase.
    http://www.drdavidwilliams.com/order/probiotic_v2/page_1.asp?promo_code=BE000073&alias_code=50150D
    Jim

patti

Thanks, Jim. Mom takes a good one. We found a guy in CA that sells a probiotic with 16 different strains. That’s the most well rounded we’ve found. Definately a must for anyone – not just those that our sick. smile

Patti

mamakayz

Patti

Not sure this is related to your problem, butmy wife Nadine had tremendous stomach pains while she was in the hospital recovering from her BMT several weeks ago, and we finally determined what was causing it. The platelets in the transfusions they were giving her were being “soaked up” by her spleen (also enlarging it eventually) thus causing blood to “seep” into areas it shouldn’t seep into, one of which was her intestinal track, causing tiny lacerations in the lining, thus causing the horrible pain, as well as blood in the stool and some bloody vomit. Unfortunately being so low on platelets (1k to 10k) they could do nothing evasive. Eventually the lacerations healed and the pain and bleeding went away.

So this is just one of several scenarios to consider.

Jon

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert