MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Essiac Tea and Organic Shark Liver Oil

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Essiac Tea and Organic Shark Liver Oil

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sugarwhale

My mom’s fine doctor–whom I THOUGHT would not be very enthusiastic over Alternative Medicine–IS! Like several members of this Forum, he recommends Essiac Tea. He said to drink at least 3 cups a day, which someone here said was WAY too much. He said that he didn’t know about the shark liver oil, but that it wouldn’t hurt. He said that Essiac Tea would definitely help keep the RBC up. My mom is 88, MDS, RA -5q and 7, tx dependent–otherwise healthy. She was diagnosed with MDS about 3 years ago. Our only problem is that we don’t know how MUCH Essiac Tea to use and how MUCH shark liver oil! Our doc is WONDERFUL. So, at least we don’t have THAT problem! Can someone here tell us? Thanks, Friends!
    ~~~Janet aka Sugarwhale

patti

Janet,

My MIL takes what the bottle says of the shark liver oil. I *think* it’s one capsule twice a day or three times a day. I would just dose however the bottle says to.

I did not know that Essiac Tea would help RBC’s. I’ve read about it over and over here but I thought it was for other things. I will get mom on it asap.

What a blessing that you have a doctor who is for alternative treatments! I sure wish ours was. frown

Best Wishes,

patti

Jimbob

Patti,
    It is really strange. My doctor at OHSU has known that I have been using various herbs and supplements since I was first diagnosed. At first he and his associates just disregarded the fact. Later they were interested in what I was doing and had me go over what I was using with the head pharmacologist. I continued using alternatives until I had an extreme leukemic event, probably brought on by stress. They suggested that I stay off the supplements that they had not suggested until at least 180 days after SCT. I have been using various supplements since and suddenly they want me off everything until they can do an indepth study on them. Something seems to be going on with some of the bigwig MDs rallying against alternative mehtods.

sugarwhale

Dear Patti,
    Face it: MDS is a serious disease. You need–desperately need–a good doctor. A good doctor is one with an open mind; one who does not cringe when you say the “H”word (herb) or the “A”words (Alternative Medicine). I understand fully how you feel, because my mom started out with a doctor who had the Bedside Manner of the Marquis de Sade. He flatly consigned my mom to death, walked out, and refused to even answer our questions. Another doctor said (and I quote!): “You’re 85, Lady! What th’hell do you expect!” They ought to be horsewhipped!
    Now, Patti, I have a good idea for you. Somewhere on this nice MDS site, there’s an 800 number which connects you to Moffitt Institute in Tampa. They can hook you up with a “Center of Excellence” and a fine doctor from whom you and your MIL can get competent, compassionate treatment. We couldn’t be happier with the doctor we have. He is kind, as well as being knowledgeable. With your MIL having such a serious disease, you need all the help you can get. This includes Alternative Medicine.
    There is, alas, danger in some Alternative Meds. There are a lot of people trying to make a fast buck on things that could even be harmful. But a fine, competent physician should be able to lead you in the right direction. My poor mom may die of MDS, but I know that if anyone can save her, our good doctor can. Good luck to you! I hope you find someone caring. You and your MIL deserve the best.
    ~~~ Janet aka Sugarwhale

patti

Hi Janet,

Thanks for the encouragement. Mom and I actually looked into changing doctors recently. She’s somewhat limited because the best MDS center here is not on her medicare insurance plan. But alas, we did discover an integrative medicine clinic at the hospital where her doctor is. It’s a naturopath, cancer doctor, acupuncturist and nutritionist that all work together to formulate an alternative and medicinal plan for patients. I made an appt. for us to see him next week. Heck, I’m just impressed they’ll be seeing us for 1 1/2hrs the first appt! I guess part of the reason we never changed is because she usually sees the nurse practioner whom she really likes. Also, because we have an herbalist we never worried about not having good advice for what to take. One thing I’d recommend is not buying cheap herbs! If they don’t smell strong then they won’t work. That’s just a good rule of thumb. I am grateful you have a good doctor as you begin this journey. We know that mom’s journey is quickly winding down as these past few weeks have proven to us. I guess that’s another reason for not changing right now. She’s getting so much sicker so much quicker now.

Jim, ikes! Please don’t just dump your natural stuff because of those lunatics! I’m sure if you you have a good natural person following you that you’ll be fine. All I can say about doctors is “follow the money.” You can’t patent and charge a fortune for supplements and herbs. It really just comes down to that. Maybe I should be glad we didn’t go to OHSU, huh?

Patti

Jimbob

i do not plan on dumping anything but I will give the pharmacolgist a beakdown on what is in the supplements I have been taking so they can see if they are causing adverse reactions with my meds. Might have to change meds.
    Jim

sugarwhale

Dear friends,
    Well, I have another question about my mom and the Essiac Tea. She bought the teabags. On the box it says that one bag is one serving. I don’t know how much to tell her to take. We know to steep the teabag in the boiling water for 10 minutes, and we know to drink it on an empty stomach. But…how many cups per day? Only a fraction of a cup? 3 cups? One can get too much of this, especially at first.
    Thank you for helping us out!
    ~~~ Janet

Hi Janet:

Hmm. Your tea comes differently than my dad’s. Does it give you a recommended dosage? Those tea bags might be a different strength, thus calling for a larger serving size. When I get this tea it comes in 4 separate bags of herbs–sheep sorrel, turkey rhubarb, burdock root, and slippery elm bark(those are the four herbs, if I recall correctly). I mix them up and prepare them 1 gallon at a time. This tea takes a while to prepare because it is brought to boil two times–the first time it comes to a boil you let it go for about 10 minutes. Then it is cooled down and allowed to steep for hours (about 6 or 7 hours, I’d have to check the instructions again. I don’t live w/my dad, so will have to call or go down there to verify the instructions). After letting the tea sit for those many hours, it is brought to a quick boil again and strained, then bottled. We put them in those ball canning jars, then store in the refrigerator. Every day my dad pours out 2 oz at a time and allows it to come to room temp, then drinks it. When he runs low, we cook up the next gallon.

We have never used the tea bags, so I don’t know what to say about those. I do know that it is warned that if you start to have tummy trouble, then cut back or discontinue. As I understand it, too much of the tea may cause the runs. Fortunately, my dad has not had that trouble.

Just a quick thought. Depending upon whether your herbs are leaves or roots, preparation can be slightly different. Leaves generally are simmered or steeped for about 10 mins, while roots usu. are simmered longer like 20 mins, then allowed to cool before use (takes longer to get the active stuff in roots out). Now if your tea bags have burdock root, I wonder if just steeping for 10 mins is sufficient? I find that a bit curious. Perhaps they’re just shaved down very finely? Maybe that’s why you might have to take more with those tea bags. On the multiple myeloma list where I heard of the idea to try the Essiac, there were a couple people taking Essiac in pill form who were claiming good results(must be extracts). We never tried that since I had access to the loose herbs which were also less expensive.

Hmm. Maybe you could try a cup at a time and see how your mom feels first before stepping up to the 3 cups a day? Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

Take care,

Marla

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert