MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Flashing lights.

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Flashing lights.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    chuckk333

Since many of the posts on this subject are a bit old, I thought that a new string would be helpful.
    Some years ago I started having episodes of blind spots in my field of view and flashing patterns. They went away after about 20 min. After many tests, it was concluded that I had “migrains with out the head ache”. I went off of coffee and other caffein and they diminished in frequency until I hardly had them at all. My wife had they same experience and she switched to decaf. and they diminished for her as well.

Now in the last week I have had two episodes after a long time with out any. It makes me wonder if my MDS has triggered them or if something else that I am ingesting causing it. I am now juicing every day with a varity of vegitables and fruits. (pineapple evey day to see if it helps with my platelet count. and a lot of carrots and greens)

J.claire

Dear Chuck,
    good idea to update this. The optometrist didn’t find anything. I am still having the flashing lights. Will try eliminating coffee, as I do drink some every morning. Thanks

Neil

It is probably wise to se an opthamologist to determine if there is a problem.
    As one ages the “gel” in the eyeball begins to shrink. This creates “floaters”, the annoying black spots that move around in the background of your vision. As the shrinking occurs there can be “flashing lights” in the corners of the eye. Something of a normal aging issue.
    But the flashing lights can also be a symptom of a detached retina.
    My hemo has me see an opthamologist annually to check if there are any MDS related issues. He has me see the opth. if there are any unusual vision problems.
    Those with low platelets (and diabetes) should have their eyes checked periodically to make sure there is no deterioration in eye health.

covergirl

Hi Chuck,
    Thanks for bringing this up. I have the samething and all doctors, hemo,opthamologist, endocrinologist, have decided its the migraine without the headache. I usually sit quietly in a darkened room for about 15 minutes and they go away.

Never thought it could be connected to my MDS.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert