MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Flu/Cold

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    choijk

Hi Friends,

My dad just came down with cold/flu like symptoms (sniffles, runny nose) yesterday and took the over the counter medicine, Contact. I am a little concerned because Contact has that ingredient, Acetaminophen, that affects the liver.

My dad had a Liver Function Panel conducted on 07/06/07 where his Bilirubin level was at a 1.2.

I just e-mailed our hematologist but does anyone have any experiences with a cold or flu with MDS? Or any suggestions of what to do or not to do?

Thank you

eve

hi june

my dad never took any medication without checking with his hemodoc first – some medications that are benign to regular people can cause havoc to an mds patient

please make sure that your dad monitors his temperature regularly while he has the flu and ask the hemodoc at what degree he should head over to the emergency room – if i recall correctly my dad’s hemodoc said that any fever over 100.4 was cause to get to the ER

good luck

eve

Neil

Hi June,
    Suggest you call his doc and discuss how to approach it.
    I had acouple similar instances over the years and my doc prescribed a ZPAC. Symptoms were gone very quickly.

Anneg

I am new tothis just been diag. but the onething I;ve been told is no anti-inflammatories

lindajo

I have used tylenol for years without any problems. Check with doctor first because of his particular liver concerns.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert