MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Help!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    kls

My Dad was just told that he will end his Vidaza and PXD 101. In a couple of weeks,they are going to give him a stronger chemo for two days. He will stay at the hospital for 3 1/2 weeks due to low counts. Does anyone know what chemo this would be????

jaxem

kls
    how old is your dad? what type mds does he have?

shirlsgirl

How’s your Dad doing? Hang in there and stay in touch..

kls

My Dad is 72 with RARS. My Dad seems to be doing well, except his transfusions are weekly again. His WBC ranges from.7 to 2.0 at his best. So we worry about germs and sickness.
    His last bone marrow test(3 months ago) showed that his disease had changed from 5% blasts to 1% so we thought everything was going well with the clinical trial.
    Then he got sick with a UTI and was hospitalized for 12 days. A bmb was ordered and it showed “more cellularity”.???????
    Now the plan is to try a more aggressive chemo and he will be in the hospital for 3 1/2 weeks so that they can monitor his blood counts.
    My question is…..what chemo is given for 2 days followed by a lengthy hospital stay? Any ideas out there??? Thanks, Kristi

Terri

Kristi, What does the Doctor say, Our doctor sits and explains every treatment in detail and also gives us explanations on other options. He has talked to us about Heavy Chemo that would be done in the hospital Specific drugs he has not mentioned, but at this time Bob is not at that point. The blast are down and he is trying the increase in vidaza to try and kick start the marrow before we decide another route.
    Sorry I am not much help. But don’t be afraid to call and ask the doctor these questions

Russ P.

Kristi, would you please e-mail me at:
    ripoole@yahoo.com I have much to share with you since I just finished my 6th round of vidaza +PXD-101 at the U. of Chicago. My case is different but want to compare treatments.
    Best wishes for your dad,
    Russ

kls

Terri,
    His Dr. called him with this bit of information. His appt is on Monday when she will go in detail about everything. I just cant stand the waiting game. Dad said he didn’t ask the name of the chemo because he thought they were still deciding on a plan for him. It sounds to me as if a plan has been made if they know he will be in the hospital for 3 1/2 weeks. Thanks for the info….It makes me feel a little better that the heavy chemo is part of the whole plan for other Drs. I guess I need to be patient until Monday!!!! Kristi

Russ P.

Kristi, best wishes. BTW, what is a UTI?
    Hope to hear from you.
    Russ

Russ P.

Perhaps you meant urinary tract infection. Sorry my slow brain didn’t think of that before I asked.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert