MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Here we go…. Buffalo Bound

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Here we go…. Buffalo Bound

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

The latest BMBs have come in. Luke is at 17%. A couple of days ago it looked like it was 20%, so this is actually amazing news.

The decision is to go the Vidaza route. There aren’t any options for us other than this, because of Luke’s heart condition, and there isn’t any benefit to waiting any more.

We pray that he is one of the responders, and that this huge financial investment will be worthwhile.

Getting someone to inject it is turning out to be an issue. Nurses can’t do it because it isn’t approved. The oncologist will, but everyone is hoping I can learn to do it at home. Why not? If it means someone gets to keep their license, I’m OK with that.

We’re still fundraising the costs, have about half covered. I’m still trying to work on the government at the same time. I’m a little closer than before, have spoken to someone at Pharmion who says they would be willing to supply it if Health Canada would cover it under their Spaecial Access Program. I haven’t got a call back from the government, of course. These folks aren’t exactly responsive. Nontheless, I will keep nagging.

It is beginning to be my strongest trait right now. I’m sure there are a couple of folks on Luke’s health care team who think I’m a ball breaking b****. If only they knew how many hours of shakes and sleeplessness I hendure after each confrontation. By the time this is all over, I will have a skin like a rhinocerous; perhaps that will be a good thing.

Meanwhile, we fight on!

Please send strong positive vibes.
    Margaret

Caroline

Lots of prayers coming your way….

Blessings,
    Caroline

shirlsgirl

Sending Luke positive thoughts and prayers too. Hoping that the Vidaza works wonders. And Margaret…..YOU GO GIRL!!!! Luke is so very lucky to have you.

Take care, Jody

Terri

Margaret I hope things work out, There have been others that have self injected and Mixed the meds at home, OUr doctors office would not do that so we go to the doctors every day. Actually this is bobs week. The drug is very thick the nurses say compared to others and it has to go in very slow. I hope Pharmion comes through for you.
    Prayers are with you

Jimbob

Margaret,
    Know that we are here for you – even when we don’t post – and praying for the best for both of you.

riley

Margaret,

You and Luke are in my prayers.

Nicole

patti

Margaret,

We will pray for you and Luke during our family devotions. This is like going on an adventure and not really knowing what it will be like. My best wishes for the best outcome possible for Luke!

All the best,

Patti

karenkay

You have my prayers, everyday!!
    Karenk

Ensnee

Margaret & Luke,

Every wish for success on your mission!

many hugs,
    Esme

Thanks everybody. Here we go!
    M

diner

Margaret,
    Lots of luck to you. I’m starting my 3rd cycle of Vidaza Sunday. Luke’s counts will go up and down which is suppose to happen. My doctor would not consider me giving my own shots. We go to his office every day. Sometimes the nurses have a little trouble getting all of the serum in because it’s so thick. My doc (an oncologist) also wants to keep close watch on my blood counts because if they go too far down, I need a transfusion before getting another shot. You have to be very closely monitored. I sure hope you can find someone to help you out. I’ll keep you in my prayers. There is one more person that just started the Vidaza shots with another doctor in the same office where I go and we are keeping notes on each other through E-mail. Dee

Sandy L

Margaret and Luke,

You can do it!!!!! Don’t let anybody make you feel like you are bothering them. Just think how they would react in your shoes. Take it one day at a time and even though it is sometimes scary ( 1st tx- or 1st anything ) you get thru it and the next time it is not as bad. This drug will help him.

Sandy L

Margaret and Luke,

You can do it!!!!! Don’t let anybody make you feel like you are bothering them. Just think how they would react in your shoes. Take it one day at a time and even though it is sometimes scary ( 1st tx- or 1st anything ) you get thru it and the next time it is not as bad. This drug will help him.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert