MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Hi all

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    JaneP

You and your family are in my prayers. I know this is so difficult and I don’t know that anyone is ever prepared. I lost my brother in Aug 2005 after they gave him 6 months and in Nov 2006 I lost my Dad. They are both still with me I know and there is only one that can explain why. Just know there is a reason and a plan for it all. Life seems so complicated at times, but simple at times as well.

Get rest and take care of yourself too.

Jane P.

Russ P.

Jay,
    Prayers for you and your family. I know my demise may be soon also and pray it will be peaceful for your dad. We have a loving God
    who will wipe away each tear and you can look forward to seeing your dad again someday.
    Blessings,
    Russ

daddy2noah

Thanks all smile
    We’re praying for all of you and your families as well.

Pops made it through Thanksgiving smile
    He couldn’t move much but he did his best and he had the whole family there and it was very sweet. My son, Noah, hung out with his pop-pop all night and made him feel really special.

He doesn’t seem like he can hang on much longer so I made sure he knows that we are all ok and that he can let go whenever he is ready.

I also made sure that he knows just how much I am thankful for what he’s done for me. The man made miracles out of nothing. At every single fork in the road, he made the choice that he thought was right for us, regardless of the obsticles. He never took the easy path if it wasn’t right, although he always had a reason to and we would have certainly understood. He worked until he was 76 (He didn’t retire until this past July). He was a welder and worked in a factory with no air conditioning, in a leather outfit, in the middle of summer, and he LOVED it. I begged him to stop, so many times, and he refused because he smiply loved working and staying busy, and he loved welding.

I remember back to when I was 5 or 6 and my dad was a real electronics buff. He’d strip down radios and TV’s and fix them up, just for the heck of it. I would always sit with him and hound the heck out of him and he would never send me away smile He knew the importance of letting me hand him the tools even though I didn’t know what any of them were for, he know the importance of explaining to me what a Zenor diode was even though I couldn’t comprehend any of it… he knew that at the end of the day all that mattered to me was that “daddy let me hang out with him”.

He’d come home from work every night and pick me up, sit me on his lap and let me tell him all about my day, the same story over and over for 10 years! lol, he listened like he was truly interested, every step of the way.

When my mother took off on us, on my 11th birthday, it crushed him. He never saw it coming. He tried really hard to hide it, but I caught him crying a few times when he thought I was in bed. He started working 7 days per week and doing everything he had to, to make ends meet. He never once made us feel like things were too hard for him, he always told me how worth it I was to him, and he always made time for me after work. Absolutely amazing man.

He was 40 when I was born, so he wasn’t a young father but he managed to get involved in everything that I wanted him to. Little League Baseball, Youngin Football, he taught me how to build go-karts and fix dirtbikes… he took me fishing and taught me to swim… but most of all he taught me that it’s ok to cry, ok to be afraid of some things as long as it doesn’t keep you from chasing your dreams and he taught me that no matter what anyone else thinks about me, what I think about myself is the most important thing in the world.

He fought in the Korean War and was captured, but never talked about it aside from a few details here and there, he felt that it was what he had to do, and like I said earlier, he ALWAYS did what he thought was right.

He would never consider himself a hero… but I hope he knows… he’ll always be my biggest hero.

Father… friend… mentor and teacher, I love him with all of my heart and soul.

choijk

Jay, that is such a beautiful story. I can relate as my father was 45 yrs old when I was born. He is currently 45 yrs old and I am 27. As the only child, it is hard and difficult at times since there is no one else to turn to except to remain strong for my father and mother. I admire your father for who he is, what he’s been through, and most of all, being such an exemplary father. He is blessed to have a son like you. He is in great hands and I’m sure he knows how much you and Noah love him. Please keep us updated. God bless and Happy THanksgiving….!

choijk

Opps, I mean , my father is 72 yrs old right now.

Paul 36

God bless you all. I am 36, and due to my low wbc 2000 and platelets 100k I am off to see the hematologist this week. Scared, hate the thought of this disease…

PupsRule

Jay — Thanks for sharing your memories. What a wonderful legacy your dad will leave. I think how lucky Noah is to have you as a father with all the experience and wisdom you gained from your own.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert