MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Husband with MDs

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Husband with MDs

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rose Palazzolo
    Participant

June 13 my husband was diagnosed with MDs. He is 74 years old. He had low platelet counts, as well as low wbc, Rec, etc. Bone marrow biopsy confirmed diagnosis. He has had two rounds of chemo injections and third one scheduled in 2 weeks. Right now he has a terrible case of gout on top of everything else. He has trouble getting up, sleeps most of day and night, pain in legs, thighs, hips. Using a walking stick. He just took. Shower. Sat on toilet seat and couldn’t get up. I had to lift him up and he shuffled to bed. I want to know what to expect as this progresses. Does anyone know? How much pain, how much hospital time, when does hospice come in? We are in NY and we live in Florida and I just don’t know how he is going to make the drive back home. He wants to go after third round so we can get set up with Florida doctors. After today I just don’t see how he will be able to make that drive home. Any thoughts and advice and information will be greatly appreciated.

Allan Romriell
    Participant

Rose,
    Check online or with a local cancer center to see if there is an MDS support group near you, they might have some ideas or resources. I would also check for them in Florida near where you live. I do not yet have the issues your husband does and therefore am not much help in how he will progress. Hopefully the chemo will help in rebuilding his blood counts so he can get some strength back. I live in Idaho so am not much help, I wish you the best.
    Allan

Rita Knopick
    Participant

Rose,

I too am new to this with my husband. One thing I have done now is getting an appointment with a Center of Excellence which I wish I had done initially in Sept 2017 when my husband was diagnosis with MDS instead of going to oncology locally. Do not hesitate to call the MDS Foundation. They are wonderful. Best Wishes to you both.

Rita

Danielle Torcini
    Participant

Hi Rose,
    My Dad was dx 1/2018 with MDS at age 73. What we have seen so far is this is a rollercoaster, with lab values and how he feels changing with every chemo cycle. Pain in the legs is common with Vidaza. Also, he will get very tired due to anemia. I agree with the others, call a center of excellence. We are fortunate enough to have 2 in our city. Hang in there. This will be difficult for both of you. God bless.

Lara Hunt
    Participant

If he is using vidaza , it is a rollercoaster indeed. My mom is on the 5th cycle, no response yet. But, Rose, all we can do is be there , be calm( even thou is really hard) and let them know we love them. I tell my mom” im here , you are too, and thats the best we can do. “

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert