MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Introduction

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Introduction

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen Lopez
    Participant

Hello everyone! I’ve been lurking while waiting for my bone marrow biopsy results and they came in a week ago. The dx is MDS with excess blasts, single lineage dysplasia, and Tet2 mutation, all which put me in the Intermediate level. Really it was just the blasts 5-7% which put me over the top, otherwise I would have been in the low risk catagory. So I’m kinda on the border I guess.

I have also joined the facebook group, so if my post sounds familar that’s why!

Quick question: My BM report states that I have Dysmegakarocytopoeisis. I goggled and found that this cell, along with a few others, is responsible for the development of platelets. However, my platelets were NOT dysplastic. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what was your drs. explaination?

And how do I put my MDS info down at the bottom automatically like I see so many of your have done?

Looking forward to chatting and learning more.

bexar2120
    Participant

Hey, dysplasia medical term is increase in abnormal cell growth or development. Did Dr. say your platelets were not dysplastic?
    Myself, I had plasma cell myeloma and had auto stem cell transplant 2017. This eventually transformed to MDS ( TP53 variant) and now Acute Myeloid Leukemia. Eventually, the AML would occur.
    Low platelet count is part of my disease – receive platelet transfusions about twice a week. Do you have low or high platelet count?

I have no idea about placing info at the bottom as you ask. Anyway, best of luck and talk/listen to your cancer care team. See if this reliable medical source is of any assistance concerning Dysmegakarocytopoeisis.
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9074719/

Kathleen Lopez
    Participant

Bexar,
    Thank you for your reply and for taking the time to look up information on Dysmegakaryopoesis!
    Very kind of you.

In answer to your question, my platelets are low but are normally shaped. My doc said that was usual. It’s the megakayrocytes that is abnormally shaped so I just “assumed” my platelets would be too but he said no. My platelets went up two weeks ago, so that made me happy! Actually all my counts went up. Does that happen often? To have really low counts then suddenly, without treatment they go up? I’m wondering if not drinking before the lab test affects the count. I had not be drinking the day of the test. Hmmmm. Something I’ll google. Hope it doesnt. I like when the counts go up!

Sounds like you’ve had quite the journey and have alot to offer those of us that are new. Thank you again for your response.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert