MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Is MDS hereditary?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Is MDS hereditary?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    txnmomma

I think I have posted about this before.. But is MDS hereditary? or genetic?

I have heard of some reports about it reaching into young people like teens and 20’s and wondered if this was hereditary.

Some things I read says it is.. some things I read says its not. I am not sure and thought about genetic counseling for me and my kids.

Any thoughts about this..

PaigeS

That was one of the first things I started looking for when Daddy was dx. I sincerely think that my dad developed it from working in chemical plants for 50+ years. Of course, it’s not proven, but much research shows that it can be developed from certain chemicals.

I don’t believe it’s hereditary. ::crossing fingers::

They had a big article in the newspaper about Cancer and different types. One of the causes of Leukemia (AML was smoking) I believe my father got MDS from Smoking Cigerettes. No one in our family so far has died of Leukemia except my father or any other cancer as far as I can tell from doing the family history on his side. So I would say no that it is not hereditary.

My my mother has leukemia also. But it is a different type of leukemia.

She was dx. about 6 months after my father.

B. Greene

Dear God I believe if there is any chance of it being hereditary that would be the final straw. Is there anything that really supports the thought that it is? Please tell me no. In our case sure it was the benzene. But, what does worry me is if, as they say, it happened years ago when he was young and the cells were damaged then before we had children could that be passed on? I just can’t go there right now.

Donna

This has always concerned me as well. I’ve heard different stories. I’ve heard about the link between benzene and cigarette smoking. My mom smoked for many years, she had quite though for about 10 prior to her passing. I’ve also heard if a family member has been diagnosed with blood cancer then the likehood of other family members having some sort of autoimmune disorder are quite high. One sister has just been diagnosed with Lupus and the other may have it as well??? – wondering about exposure to 2nd hand smoke, as children we were exposed to a lot.
    It’s scary for sure – I geuss though, there’s no point in worrying about it – there’s nothing really one can do.

Donna

JulieMarie

Wendy,

Some say Yes, some say No, I think it really is more enviromental, IE family has it but they were all exposed to the same enviroment that had benzene hence multipule people in the family have MDS or other blood disorders. The best advise I can give you is if you are worried go get a full cbc. In Ohio the Chamber of Commerce has a drive once a year, I got my blood checked this year and I found out I’m normal YEAH! except for Chelsterol which was high and also my CO2 was off which I’m not sure what that means.

Hope this helps you out.

Cherbear

Hi,
    I agree with JulieMarie – my doctor stated basically the same – that it could be a familial/environmental thing. My son passed from AML in Nov. 2003 and in June 2004 I was diagnosed with CMML/MDS. We are getting tested by their genetics dept., but I am beginning to feel that it’s where we live because other than Jason and me, there were no other blood cancers or bone marrow diseased in my family. The health dept. is investigating our county right now.

Just thought I would share….
    Blessings and Hope,
    Cheryl

Suzanne

I was told that there is no indication that it is genetic and that my children and grandchildren did not need to be tested. I have read about the chemical exposure like benezine and that there is an increased risk for smokers. Have no idea where mine came from-no unusual chemical exposure that I know of, no family history of blood cancers. I did smoke but stopped over 15 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert