MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Life goes on

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Life goes on

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    andrzej g.

For those of you who are interested…
    My father’s disease shows signs of progression.
    Though he did well on his cytogenetics (1/3 of the investigated cells lost their Y chromosome, 2/3 of them showed no signs of chromosomal aberrations), the interpretations may vary. Loss of sex chromosome Y is considered to be a good prognostic factor unless it is not due to the older age of the patient (then is of no meaning). The opinion on the normal karyotype is inconsistent. Some say it is not such a good prognostic factor as it was thought before. So more or less we do not know anything for sure.
    The 10/01/2005 bone marrow aspirate showed extremely hypocellular marrow with 13,2% of blasts and discrete features of inhibition in maturing among all of the cell series. The 15/02/2005 aspirate showed 16,2% or even fragmentarily much more of the blasts, the blasts tend to gather in form of specific nests separated by hypocellular areas. The picture clearly suggests it is not so called stable or smoldering RAEB and it heads toward frank AML.
    His counts are still satisfactory, RBC 3.5M, Hb 11.8, PLT 190K with distinct neutropenia 0.4-0.5K and leukopenia 2.1K. The acceleration of the disease may however change it in days.
    My father and his sister were HLA-typed last week. The test must be, however redone. It has been shown perfect compatibilty within Class II, but whether they match within Class I – it still remains obscure.
    It is so stressful to deal with those things.
    The only potentially curative option for my father is mini-allo transplantation from a related donor. There are however no centers of excellence in Poland that have ever dealt with such procedures in elderly patients.
    Another week to wait is quite unbearable…
    Regards

Terri

Thoughts are with you and your family, I do hope all goes well, Your dad is not that elderly. I consider 66 Average age. Will continue prayers

shirlsgirl

I’m so sorry about your Dad. I agree with Terri, 66 isn’t so elderly. Hoping, and crossing my fingers for a Class I match. Thinking of you and your family.

take care, Jody

Suzanne

Does anyone know what “frank AML” is? Barbra said that term was used with Ron’s AML also. I could not find anything about the term “frank” in any literature I had or on a search of the net and the forum topics.
    andegrj, Have the doctors even mentions trying Induction and consolidation chemo if his sister is not a match.It might at least buy some time.

andrzej g.

Suzanne,
    You know I’m not a native speaker, but I consider meaning ‘frank’ in this context more or less like ‘abrupt’, ‘rough’ or even ‘blustering’ and antonymous to ‘subtle’. So – summarizing – this is where the blasts get out onto the bloodstream.
    I think induction would be an option, at least if my father decides so.
    Anyway, we’ve got a week to wait…
    Regards,

Suzanne

Good luck to your Dad. I too was/am hypocellular. I will keep my fingers crossed for a complete match. I only had one sister and she did not even match on the 1st round.

Jack_dup1

Greeting Andrzej,
    A week can be very long indeed, when you are waiting on something so important to you. I pray you will get promising news. Where would your Father have to travel to get treatment, if it can’t be done in Poland? Please know that we are thinking of you and your family.
    Jack R.

alexandra7
    Participant

Ok . You have to pull yourself toghether and face this no matter what the results will be . Hope for the best and trust in GOD . Although your father ‘s blasts are growing(as number)his hb is pretty good so try to see the good parts . Ok? I know this must be really hard for you but it has been given to u and you have to take it the way it is . I will be praying for you and your father. ALexa

andrzej g.

Suzanne: I did investigation on the word ‘frank’ in context of AML. It is considered to apply to the blasts rising > 30% in the marrow. For sure.

Jack: No hematology centers of excellence in Poland have experience in mini-allografting in elderly mds patients. I doubt if my father would be even qualified for the procedure. There are some clinics in Germany (ie. Leipzig, Freiburg) that have quite excellent outcomes, but it’s almost impossible to get the transfer. As you probably know – the procedure is too expensive to be paid on our own frown

Thank you all for support.

We do the flow cytofluorimetry on Monday. The same day we expect the HLA report…

Jimbob

I agree with Alexa. I found so much peace when I finally accepted my situation as an opportunity from God and aasked him to provide the right doctors with the skills and knoledge to get me through it. Suddenly things just fell into place. I will pray for your dad and your family for a similar resolutioon.
    Jim

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert