MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Living in a home with stairs

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Living in a home with stairs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Susan Thomson
    Participant

My husband has intermediate MDS and we live in a 105-year old two story home with both bathrooms on our second floor. He gets very winded going up and down the stairs and we just got an estimate for an electric chair that can take him up and down. We have a bend in our stairs and the estimate for the chair is around $15,000. I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on whether they moved to a one-story, got an electric chair or just kept using the stairs. In one way this is exercise for him. But on the other hand we could get to a point where we have to move quickly. Any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Mar
    Participant

Bravo that your husband can still climb stairs. Those electric chairs move slowly. Not knowing your house design except 2 story, have you considered an elevator?

bexar2120
    Participant

Ourselves, we downsized from 2 story to newly built one story. My disease was Plasma Cell Myeloma – Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS) — Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    We decided to downsize; various reasons were my disease, not using second story, adult child moving to her own home.
    The comment about “having to move quickly” should be key in your decision making process. DO you travel “a distance” for treatment?
    We live in a city with Center Of Excellence for my disease; Local Dr said you have progressed to AML, so go to Houston Medical Center for treatment options. Now, would we consider selling current home and moving near Houston? Very unlikely, I have TP53 variant – testing for a second clinical trial at this moment.
    ANyway, do not hesitate if selling and relocating is in your best interest. Disease treatment requires lots of time at the facility. I spent 2 months in patient with wife in lodging.

Susan Thomson
    Participant

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post on 2 story living. We do live close to my husband’s treatment so that is one of the considerations. But you all have given me some things to consider and I appreciate the help. Best wishes to you!

Kathleen Lopez
    Participant

In order to help evaluate if moving to a one story would be beneficial, maybe you could move into an Air B-N for 30 days, or some other form of one month rental and see if he feels better or about the same. You could also check with family and friends that live near by if you could stay with them for just a month because you need help making this very important decision. Just a thought! Good luck!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert