MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Long time survivor

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Long time survivor

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ken Lozier
    Participant

Hi to all. I have been recently diagnosed with MDS. I have scheduled my Bone Marrow biopsy. Not sure how all this will work out. I am 70 years old and I have survived 2 cancers and multiple surgeries in the past. I had testicular cancer in 1975. Major, major surgery for that followed by 4,500 rads of Cobalt 60 radiation followed by 1 year of chemotherapy. The MDS website tells me that is why I now have MDS. I also was born with mild anemia which affects the shape of my red blood cells. My second cancer was colon cancer in 1975 – stage 1. I lucked out there. Only lost 60% of my colon. I was in the Air Force when I was diagnosed with testicular cancer. In July 1976 the Air Force hospital put out on Temporary Disability Retirement. The VA rated me 100% disabled and Social Security rated me as unemployable. I took advantage of the VA program to get my BS degree in Electrical Engineering. I worked for a defense contractor for 32 years retiring in 2013. The cancer was the worst thing that has ever happened to me but also the best. It gave me options in life I did not even know were there. Glad I lived the life I did. I have a good income in retirement – a great wife and a nice life. I will face MDS with the same great positive attitude I used to face my 2 cancers and the other surgeries I had to face in life. I plan on living at least 10 more years or more. If not, I have had a great life. Good luck to all of you facing this medical problem or any other you may be experiencing. We live in the right time of history to benefit from great medical care and medical breakthroughs. I am living proof of this.

Lillian Evans
    Participant

Hi, I too am a 2003 cancer survivor and have been diagnosed with MDS resulting from the radiation and heavy doses of chemo. I have been taking dacogen to control my numbers since February. Am now in the process of preparing for a stem cell transplant. I am 74 so will have the lighter dose of chemo. Am healthy and plan to beat this second round of cancer.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert