MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Low Platelets/Bruise very easily

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Low Platelets/Bruise very easily

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Timothy Todaro
    Participant

I am a 54 year old male. My last visit to my GP my platelets were 133 and white blood cells were 3.1. I have a past history of Prostate Cancer which was removed 3 years ago. My GP has recommended that I see an oncologist to possibly do a bone marrow test and aspiration. He is stumped as to my easy bleeding and bruising, I am not on any blood thinners. My Mother passed away a few years ago and on her death certificate was listed MDS. The internet is so full of all info that my head is spinning. From what I read, it is rare for MDS to be inherited so don’t know if possible or not. Is my GP over reacting by requesting I go for the bone marrow/aspiration tests or is he in line with what should be done. He basically told me he did not know why I was bruising so easily, low platelets etc. so wanted to find out for himself along with me understanding the reasons for my issues.

Does anyone out there know or can shed some light on if I should do these tests and if there is a real possibility of me having MDS.

Thanks,
    Tim Todaro
    Saint Augustine Florida

Timothy Todaro
    Participant

**Adding to the post I previously made…..**
    In resolving my Prostate Cancer, my Prostate was removed via Radical Prostatectomy. In addition, I had 8 weeks, 5 days a week Radiation due to the Cancer in the bladder neck. I am listing this information due to other postings referring to Radiation as a possible cause for MDS, (secondary). Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated. Should I go through with the bone marrow and aspiration tests?
    Thanks,
    Tim Todaro
    Saint Augustine Florida

mdsfound

Dear Timothy, There are occasional familial cases of MDS, however, these are exceptionally rare. The genetics of MDS are complex, and the influence of inborn and inherited changes is either subtle or non-existent. In cases where there is an established history of MDS in the family, I always let other family members know that they should have annual bloodwork done and to watch their counts as an indicator. If your counts are abnormal, I would then make an appointment to see a hematologist. The Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville is not too far from St. Augustine so I would recommend that you go there. Following is a link to our Centers of Excellence worldwide https://www.mds-foundation.org/mds-centeres-of-excellence/. I hope this information helps. If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by mdsfound.
    jenny singh
    Participant

With the easiest steps here you all can know the way to get the gta 5 money hack here which you may be otherwise looking here and there.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert