MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

MDS

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Lu

My father has been in the hospital for over month, being treated with arsenic trioxide in combinatin with cytosine arabinoside. Presently with a fever with no diagnosis. He was never sick a day in his life and finds it very hard dealing with this. He is 75 years old and in my opinion not doing well. Very scary for my mother and me. Anyone know the outcome history of all this?? I think i just need someone to share this with.

Neil

Hi Lu,
    Cannot be sure what he is dealing with without a diagnosis.
    If it is MDS, there are too many variables to offer a comment. MDS patients survive for many years under the best of circumstances. Know of one who has had it for over 15 years.
    Others do not do so well. depends upon their risk level, how long they had MDS before being diagnosed and how stable their counts are.
    If you can provide more info there may be a patient or caregiver who has similar circumstances they can compare.

sarah

Lu, what is his classification of MDS?

alexandra7
    Participant

Fever is no good. But try not to lose hope . For people with MDS fever can harm but you have to wait for the treatment he is having to start working .And most important thing don’t panic !!!I’m sorry I can’t give an advice regarding your dad’s status but I do not know much . Hopefully he will get better soon . Alexa

Lu

Thank you for responding. My father is presently not doing well at all. He has had MDS for 9 almost 10 years.Doctors have said he has lasted longer than the average– Big consolation… He is now in itensive care with an infection in his intestines and not doing well at all. He is at NY Cornell Hospital. They did a bone marrow test on Wednesday and did not see many whites if at all. Presently getting platelets, but not sure for how much longer. He is weak and thin, but 100% alert. This is a miserable disease and my heart goes out to all those affected and their family members.

Lu

His classification is MDS w/ RAB not sure on the number, but I know it is not good.

alexandra7
    Participant

I do not mean to let you get the wrong ideea that I’m against doctors or anything -my best friend is a doc and a very good one …but the thing with giving you a period of time to live that is pathetic . If we were all taking in to account the average period for each disease maybe most of us would be dead by now .So keep on hoping . You never know where the miracle comes from. We are hear for you too. I’ll pray that your father gets better .I agree that it’s a terrible disease. I hope someone will find a cure soon .All my best wishes to you and your dad Alexa

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert