MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

MDS Foundation contributions

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board MDS Foundation contributions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    estee

Game players on Microsoft Live Search Games can elect to have their points contributed to charities, one of which is the MDS Foundation.
    I knew nothing about MDS and little about leukemia before my husband was diagnosed. If I’d known some of the symptoms–frequent bleeding, pancytopenia–maybe he’d have got help in time.
    My best wishes to all of you. I wish I’d found you earlier, too.

estee

Why does this come up with a title like “Amateur teen babe gets 2008.”? No serious participant would read that.

ButchL
    Participant

It looks fine to me.

estee

Dear Butch, I am so sorry about your wife. It looks like your step daughter’s disease was found in time. Do doctors think there is a hereditary element? I hope Ashley continues to do well.
    Today would have been our 19th anniversary. I had said I’d stop blaming myself for not seeing his symptoms earlier but it’s hard.

ButchL
    Participant

estee,

My daughter is doing great. They just let her go back to work. She is back to a normal life.

As for the hereditary issue, I personally think it is related to a chemical they were both exposed to years ago. I have only found 1 article to support my theory but I continue to search for more.

This disease is no one’s fault. It is a random occurrence from what I have seen. Never blame yourself.

Butch

CMH64

Estee, please do not beat yourself up about not being aware of the symptoms. Like my husband is fond of saying ” you don’t just get up one day and say, ‘I thing I will read about leukemia today’.” Our general practioner evidently missed my husband’s early symptoms for years. He had low blood counts and several unexplained bouts of cellulitis but was not diagnosed until he was at AML. MDS is rare and many of us had never even heard of it before diagnosis. Many doctors never have occasion to treat an MDS patient. Please do not blame yourself. You did the very best you could have done with the information you had at the time. I am so sorry that you have to go through this! Cathy

estee

My husband smoked for about 50 years although he stopped 9 years ago. He also once had a sideline business of repairing lawnmowers which may have exposed him to harmful chemicals. His doctor said it was unlikely that it was hereditary. This was a comfort to him as he has 3 sons he loved very much.
    Thank you for your kind words.
    I wish you and your loved ones all the best in beating or living with this disease.

jaxem

butch
    good luck in finding articles you can really hang your hat on. my wife got her mds as a result of having chemotherapy infused into her blood stream as a prophylactic done following breast cancer surgery (secondary cancer). if they haven’t found a cure for blood cancers yet and continue to shotgun the latest chemicals into patients because 30% have shown a response to it, you’re not going to find a credible article on the cause. right now they’re winging it & patients hope that they get lucky.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert