MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

MDS vs. Leukimia

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board MDS vs. Leukimia

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    JulieMarie

One thing I don’t understand is how someone with Leukimia can lead a normal life after they get into remission, (I know someone who’s had Leukimia for about 15 to 20 years now and you’d never know it) But yet MDS which is an early indicator of Leukima is so deadly. Why don’t they treat MDS like they treat Leukimia? I know Vidaza which is used for Leukimia is now treatment for MDS, but what about the drugs? Also, since I’m a daughter would stem cell transplant be a sure thing if I were to have a child?

Thanks for all your supportive answers. My thoughts and prayers are with each and everyone of you.

Neil

There are different types of leukemia and different types of MDS. There are a couple MDS patients that have survived 15 years. Remember 15 years ago MDS was not a disease that anyone had much knowledge of. There have been many advances in both over the last 15 years. A 15 year leukemia survivor is very unusual.
    They don’t treat them the same since they are different diseases.
    There are no sure things with stem cell transplants. Cord blood would provide a very good possibility. There are a few facilities that have been using cord blood for a source of cells and seem to have better than average results. You might want to research them.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert