MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Mutations

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Mutations

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JoAnn Fontana
    Participant

My husband had a bone mattie biopsy on Dec. 13. We seen the Dr.
    on December 19. He was diagnosed at that day with MDS EB 1. He had 9% blast then. We do
    not go back until January 9 th. All I keep hearing about from others are what mutations they have. The dr. did say it takes awhile to get back but how long? I can’t handle not knowing.

Joe Catalano
    Participant

I was diagnosed with MDS in June 2021. Went to Sloane Kettering and they did a bone marrow biopsy. The doctor said it would take at least 2 to 3 weeks so that I would not be impatient and it did take that long. The specimen of the bone marrow must be examined by several people for several Diagnosesof it. waiting for results is a difficult process but the only thing you can be is patient.

Amy Clark
    Participant

Hi! I am sorry to hear of his dx. My husband’s mutation results took two-ish weeks, but it may be longer for you b/c of the holidays. The hospital/lab will post them to your chart. We saw my husband’s mutations before the doctor called us about them.

If you are not at a center of excellence (COE) for MDS, I would make getting to one a top priority. This organization, The MDS Foundation can assist you in getting in quickly.

In our case the second bone marrow reading at the COR was redone and his blast count went down by 4 points. Reading the bone marrow and counting the blasts is an “art” as well as a science. As our new oncologist at the COE later told us, a blast reading of 8 can be 6 or 10, but not 2.

Hope that helps! Prayers to you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert