MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Need More Prayers

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Need More Prayers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Caroline

Dad had a good day yesterday. Thismorning he phoned me and asked me to take him to the Guelph hospital, NOT our local ER. He was in terrible shape. I picked him and Mom up and took them. We were in Emerg from 11 am until Mom and I left at 10pm. I had to get her home to bed since she is also terminally ill.

Dad has been admitted. He is in Kidney Failure. He has a C-Diff Colitis infection. His kidneys or his stents or both are infected. His WBC, Potassium, Urea, Creatinine and other numbers are in the Critically High area. It is 1:14 am and I am dressed and ready to leave if they call me. There is a chance that they may need us overnight. Dad is now in a room on the Medical Floor in Isolation I believe for the C-Diff. I just phoned to check on him and the nurse told me that they are presently on the phone with the Internist to see if they can give him Gravol as he has begun to vomit. His urine, stools and I think his vomit are all blood.

Again, Please Pray.

Thank you.

Caroline

Jerry

Caroline ….

Debbie’s and my prayers and thoughts are with you and your family today … May God bless you all … keep us posted …

Jerry

sdrake

Keep the faith – my prayers are with you all.

sdrake

((((Caroline))) Wishing you strength.
    M

riley

Caroline, my prayers are with you and your family.

God bless,
    Nicole

karenkay

(((((((Caroline)))))))))

I will keep you all in my prayers.
    Karenk

Caroline

To Everyone….Thank you again for your prayers !!!

Dad is slowly starting to respond to meds of every type. He ate a bit, laughed with us, visited some inbetween sleeping and has a good outlook. Lots of tubes and IV’s but they are all helping so far.

They are FINALLY going to laser surgery those blasted kidney stones and remove the infected stents. The hope is that by removing the obstruction, the urine will flow smoothly and the toxic counts will lower themselves. If not, he will be referred to a Dialysis Centre in Kitchener.

A Nephrologist started caring for him today. He is going like blazes to beat this infection. No time to spare.

Through this all, Dad’s Hemoglobin is still at 97. That amazes me. He was literally bleeding bowel movement sized puddles that were pure blood and still his hemoglobin has remained near 100. That does not mean that tomorrow’s blood test will show 97 but at least it is one less worry for everyone. He literally has doctors passing each other in the halls on the way to his room. Each works on a different part. How fortunate we are this time !!!! Now I am glad that our hospital sent him home on Friday night. All of his doctors in Guelph know what happened to him and they were less than happy that he got this much worse in 2 days so they are treating him as Urgent.

My daughter phoned my boss last night to tell her the situation with Dad and to and ask for time off for me and I got fired. I was her housekeeper. I suppose the lady needs someone all the time so she let me go. I had to let her down 3 times in the past 2 weeks and today was the 4th time. Now I have every day to spend taking care of both Dad and Mom. If Dialysis starts, that will take up alot of time anyhow so I probably would have had to quit eventually.

Opa still isn’t out of the woods, but he sure looks better than he did yesterday.

Blessings,
    Caroline

gemloyear

Caroline, It’s good to hear that your dad is responding to his treatments.It was too bad that he had wait so long to get the care that he needed.What a differance in hospitals and staff!I pray that he continues to improve each day until he is well.
    God bless Ellie

Man, I’m so sorry you got fired in the midst of all of this. But you know what? Things like that always work their way out. It may be a gift – your focus is clear right now, and you don’t have the additional stress of balancing priorities. When things stabilize, something will come to you.

I always have a bit of a lurch when you mention “Opa” – my dad is Opa, and my mom is Oma. We’re Dutch.

I am delighted to hear that you have movement on the medical front, and that there is treatment underway. Your dad sounds like a real fighter.

God speed Opa, and all strength to you, Caroline. smile
    Margaret

tsj

Bless you and your Dad, you are all in my prayers.

diner

Caroline, I’m sorry you lost your job but at least you won’t have to worry about trying to be with your dad and not getting your job done. I’m so glad your dad is doing better. I’ll keep him in my prayers. Dee

Terri

glad to hear dad is doing better, Hang in there.
    Prayers still coming.

patti

Caroline,

When my husband quit his job in May of ’04 to start our own business we had everything laid out that we were going to need to do in order to survive financially until we were making money to support ourselves. Guess what, less than 3 months later we found out his mom had MDS. We also found out that it meant he was lucky to get three full days a week in working. Many of his work “days” are from 5:00pm to 1:00am. But you know what? God has blessed us caring full time for his mom. We’ve never gone hungry or had debt, our children LOVE having the extra time with daddy, mom is completely confident that her needs will be met, etc. If my husband had stayed at his job and then mom was diagnosed, he would have freaked out and had a much harder time quitting because he would have been too worried about money. My children would have spent endless days with babysitters (and we don’t even know a babysitter!), etc. etc.

I said all that to say this…. while it might not look like a blessing to lose your job, it may be the best thing that could have happened for your parents (and you). The bible says in Ephesians 6:2 “Honour thy father and mother, that it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.” I can’t think of a better way to honor them to then to care for them completely. Good job. smile

Patti

Kathryn

Caroline, you and your dad are in my prayers. I know how draining that rollercoaster can be. Keep the faith. In regards to your job, it is interesting how things work out….. We had plans of moving back to Florida…Had my house sold, I would have moved and missed out on some very valuable time w/ my father…. Sometimes blessing are in disguise!

Take care,

Kathryn

Sandy L

Caroline,

Sorry to hear that you lost your job but I am sure that something wonderful is just around the corner. Right now concentrate on Dad! You have a lot to deal with and it will all fall into place.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert