MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

neupogen

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    maueenh
    Participant

Eve,

I believe it is 80k That is the note on his hemotology report from Friday along with 480mcg of neupogen.

Maureen

Neil

Hi Maureen,
    There is an infinite number of dosage combinations for Procrit.
    I started at 15,000 units a week. Skipped a couple weeks because my HCT/HGB was too high. Then went to 20,000 every other week, to 30,000 every other week and now am at 40,000 every other week.
    Much depends upon the patients erythropoetin and iron levels before they start.

maueenh
    Participant

Neil,
    What is erythropoetin and what acronym would that be listed by on the chemistry/hemotology reports? Iron? Where do I find that?

It sounds like I shouldn’t panic about this but I feel like you must be as proactive as possible and I want to take that pressure off my parents. Thank you for the help
    Maureen

patti

Neil and Suzanne,

I posted earlier and my computer died before the server picked up the post. Arggh.

Mom’s insurance company sent a letter to all of their insureds saying they were just adding the prescription coverage to their plan and if we wanted to opt out we’d have to do so in writing. Maybe they just did that to make things easier on the insureds. Don’t know. Didn’t know we had other options though. We’ll sit tight where we’re at because the neupogen is being covered and it’s the only drug she takes.

Thanks for the info.

patti

Neil

Hi Maureen,
    Erythropoetin is a substance normally made in the kidneys. It triggers the marrow to produce red cells. Procrit and Epogen are synthetic erythropoetin. You probably wont find it (or iron) on a typical CBC. If a patient has a low epo level chances are Procrit will work.But it also needs iron to function properly. Some pts will take an iron supplement to help the process.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert