MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

New on board > question: abdominal pains

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board New on board > question: abdominal pains

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Aleksandra Poland
    Participant

Dear All,

I’ve just discovered this Forum and made a quick check on the topic that sent me searching the web.
    Hope you don’t mind if I ask something obvious…
    We have so little experience with MDS – since my Mother is ill, the doctors have not been too helpful and did not bother explaining things to us.

Well, anyway. What I would like to ask is, if anybody had any experience with the repeating (5 times last month), sharp abdominal pains with swelling (liver? spleen?)Is it MDS-related problem? Could we suggest something to the hospital? She went to ER again today night and the doctors there have no clue, what to do with her, except giving her the pain relief. And of course they are frightened, as her platelets are really low… But that’s typical.

Thank you very much for any responses.
    Best, Aleksandra

PS. To explain a little more: my Mum suffers MDS since 2004, when she was diagnosed, but not exactly. Her hematologist decided, she won’t try to classify the illness, if the treatment proves successful. Well, can be called successful, since Mum’s blood counts keep relatively in balance (little less / little more) with the changing combination of Encorton and Damazol + some B-complex vitamine supplements. She gets no other treatment.

Neil

Hi Aleksandra,
    It is difficult to determine if the abdominal pain is associated with her MDS.
    If it is associated, it might be her spleen. Many MDS patients have problems with their spleen. Her doc can give her a quick examination to find out if it is the problem. Did they rule out appendicitis?
    Did you look up the side effects of Encorton and Danazol? Might be a clue.

Jimbob

Aleksandra,
    Right after they did determine, by bone marrow biopsy, that I did have CMML they did an ultra-sound on my spleen and found it was almost twice the normal size. They told me that an enlarged spleen is common with any form of MDS or leukemia and can become very painful. Mine was only painful when pressed.
    The best way to treat a disease is to first determine the type of MDS and that can only be done with a bone marrrow biopsy. I would ask for that as soon as possible – after they have check to make sure the pain is not for an inflamed appendix.
    Keep in touch. There are many here to help you and your mom through this.
    Jim

Aleksandra Poland
    Participant

Thank you so much for your immediate response!
    I forwarded your suggestions to my family in Poland, let’s see, what comes out of the extended examinations. The problem is, this is a little town and not very progresive hospital, and Mom’s regular doctor in the Cracow “Excellence Centre for Poland” does not want to do anything to determine the type of MDS! Or maybe she just does not want to give us this information… Because the biopsy was made, already twice, and even the diagnosis of MDS in general was not easy to get from her – I do admire, how much do all know about the illnes and how you try treating your condition . and I would really wished so much care for my Mom at home.

Once again many thanks – and if you would remember anything else (how do you deal with the enlarged spleen? Is it possible to influence the pain in any other way than with pain reducing medicines? Are there any alternative ways?), please, let me know.
    Aleksandra

Frankie

Hi Aleks

I just wanted to echo what others have said. My spleen was huge….from so many transfusions and my liver was also very large. I was even considering a splenectomy…but my hematologist said “no!”.
    Spleen is on the left side and liver is on the right side. I was in pain a lot of the time from what felt like my spleen rubbing on my ribs.
    Also my oncoligist thought that a lot of may colon cramping might be my spleen hitting my large intestine…something like that. ::shrug::
    Since I have stopped the transfusions and surviving well on the Revlimid, my spleen has gone down in size and voila! no more pain.
    I’m getting back my girlish figure, too. smile

Frankie

Aleksandra Poland
    Participant

Hallo, Frankie,

I’m so happy to read that there are so many medicines in US and that they seem to help (your example with Revlimid!). Here in Europe the pool of accepted medicines is so little – almost nothing: I read about all this stuff, forward it to my Mom’s hematologist, and the feedback is always “…but we can not use it…”.
    Thanks God it is likely that Mom’s trouble this time is only a stone in the urinary tracts – not the progress of MDS. But we’ll remember about the spleen thing.

All the best, Aleksandra

sarah

My husband had his spleen removed Sept 05. Tough surgery.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert