MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

New Trial , wish Hans luck!

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board New Trial , wish Hans luck!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ensnee

Hi Everyone,

I thought you all might be interested to know that Hans is starting treatment in a Phase 1 trial of a new drug called MGCD0103, manufactured by Methylgene Inc. Tomorrow is Day 1. It is not considered induction, and is in pill form, taken 3 times weekly, in continuous 3 week cycles. It is for patients with leukemia or MDS. Here is a quote from the study info:

“MGCD0103 belongs to a class of drugs known as the histone deacetylase inhibitors, which may restore normal control in cancer cells by affecting the genes and proteins that are being made. Laboratory tests show that this new investigational anti-cancer drug can slow down the growth of human cancer cells in mice, and two clinical research studies are currently being performed in humans with cancer.

About 25 patients in Canada and the United States will take part and it will take about 16-18 months to complete the study. About half of the patients will be accrued from the Princess Margaret Hospital. The results of the study should be known in about 1.5 – 2 years.”

As long as Hans’ condition stays the same or gets better, he will be kept on this drug. Let’s hope it turns out to be a great drug, both for him and for all the other people desperately looking for the answer.

many hugs,
    Esme

Suzanne

I am wishing Hans good luck with this new study. I know it must be making you both feel better to have something to try. And pills are wonderful compared to How most things are administered. Zarnestra was pills also and it was such a relief after shots and drug pumps!Wishing you the best.

Kathy G

I’m praying that this drug works for Hans and is a step closer to helping others. Please keep posting with updates.

Kathy G

shirlsgirl

Hi Esme,

Wishing Hans best of luck with this trial drug. It sounds so promising! Yay for pills!

big hug,

Jody

Ensnee

Thanks, ladies, for the good thoughts! We are hopeful, though a bit more guardedly because the last two trials he’s been in have not worked for him. There is also the knowledge that by taking part he is also contributing to the wealth of knowledge that may help other patients in the future since, as Dr. Schuh said to us the other day, “The treatments we have now for leukemia really suck!” That’s a direct quote, by the way. smile

cheers,
    Esme

CarolineG

Hi Esme.

Many hopes and prayers that this will be your answer. I am happy that he gets to take the pill route.

Caroline

Naomi

Hi Ensnee:
    Hopefully this is “third time’s a charm” for Hans.
    It was for me.
    Good Luck and prayers are with you.
    Naomi wink

Jimbob

Esme,
    I hope and pray that Hans being on the pill will mean many, many more years of improved life together for the two of you.
    Jim

Ani

Esme, I too echo the thoughts of others, hopes and prayers are with you as we will all benefit from the results

Shalom
    Ani

Jim

Good luck. We all will be watching and praying.

Ensnee

Thanks, everyone one of you! We’re all in this together….!

hugs,
    Esme

gemloyear

Esme, Our hopes and prayers are with you and Hans that this will be the magic pill.
    Ellie & Glen

Ensnee

I’m really hoping it is the magic pill. Hans came home after a very long day at the hospital (lots of blood taken for the study at intervals –they took so much they had to give him a couple of bags.) He was queasy and depressed. Since Jan 11, his blast count has gone from 0.82, to 3.64 a week later, and then 2 days after (last Friday) it was 7.08. Today his WBC was 14.6. So, it seems the leukemia is roaring back…pretty scary.

The ups and downs continue.

Esme

Kathryn

Hey Esme,

Best of luck to Hans.! Know that you guys are in my prayers & that healing thoughts, love & hugs are being sent your way!!!

Kathryn

sugarwhale

Dear Esme,
    This sounds good! Hooray for Canada! I’m going to talk to OUR doc about this one! Thank you for sharing! Best of luck!
    ~~~ Janet

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert