MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Nutritional Information

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Nutritional Information

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    bhanson

Thank you very much for your advice. We are on our way to get our supplements reviewed by a doctor of naturopathy tomorrow, so will asked her about the vitamins and the calcium. I have heard of the hypercalcimic problem, so will it checked out. The phosphorus seems important too. Thanks again. I will post my husband’s new regimen and see what you think. Thanks again and admire your inspirational care for your love ones, Bonnie

sugarwhale

Dear Caroline, Luke & Margaret, Patti and Marla,
    I hope I haven’t omitted anyone here who helped me out so much. All of you suggested things to me and my mom that you thought would help her MDS. Well, today our good doctor recommended Essiac Tea and magnesium. He said we could try the shark liver oil, and that it wouldn’t hurt us. That is exactly what we’re going to do. I just have one last question: We are not clear on the amount of Essiac Tea. Our doctor says at least 3 cups per day. Somewhere I read where one should take only 1 oz. per day. Any ideas about this? Can one overdose on Essiac Tea? This is a great Forum! I feel like I can really come to you for help! Thanks again so much.
    Janet aka “Sugarwhale”

Hello Sugarwhale:

Yes, 3 cups a day is too much. The recommended amount to take is dependent upon your health condition. Some people take it for preventative measures, and for them they take 1-2 oz a day. For extra strength, 2 oz once or twice a day is recommended, and for maximum strength take 2 oz three times a day. When improvement is stable, cut back to 2 oz two times a day.

My father has been able to keep his MM stable at 2 oz two times a day. He takes one in the morning before breakfast and his second dose he takes in the evening just before bed. It’s best to take on an empty stomach, so try to take it about 1 hour before meals. We use distilled or spring water to make the teas.

I don’t know where you’ll be purchasing your Essiac, but I have been buying it at Herb Products Co. here in Burbank, Ca. They have a website at http://www.herbproducts.com/ I do believe they ship orders. Their tea comes with preparation instructions and dosage recommendation similar to what I mentioned. Hmm. But one thought is, if they ship, does the post office irradiate the packages? I wouldn’t want that. Might be something to check with your post office if they would do that.

Thanks, Patti and Caroline for sharing your magnesium experiences! That is interesting that the magnesium did seem to help you. I wonder if dosage also plays a factor in this. I mean I imagine some of us might be more deficient in magnesium than others and thus need a higher amount? Not sure, but just wondering what other factors might come into play here. You’re probably right, Patti, about dark and light chocolate and magnesium content. Every now and again I like to have some of those coco nibs from Wilderness Family Naturals. Not sure if they’re light or dark! I should check! Ha!

Hi Margaret:

I’m glad you mentioned the hot and cold showers. I do believe that there is more to regaining our health than just changing our diets. There are other things that help improve health like getting enough sunshine, exercise, good attitudes, etc. I did some of that hot and cold showering, too! It’s supposed to be good with helping the lymphatic system flow. Another good way to do that is rebounding on a trampoline and deep breathing exercises. For those interested in the importance of good lymphatic flow, I found this website interesting to read: http://www.garynull.com/Documents/Arthritis/Lymph_Drainage_Therapy.htm It discusses the manual lymphatic drainage technique, but also goes a bit into the lymph system and fluid. (Best to print it out and read, unless you don’t mind reading a lot from a computer screen). I’ve also started dabbling with raw garlic and was happy to hear that there have been some studies that show that garlic helps prevent arterial plaque, and in some cases have shown to even “reverse” arterial plaque.

Well, as you say, there is a lot more! I would be interested to know what else you and Luke are doing.

Okay! Take care, you guys!

Marla

sugarwhale

Dear Marla,
    You are wonderful! Thank you so much for telling me about Essiac Tea. I just did something stupid: At the very INSTANT that you were writing me–I put a new topic on here! My apologies! And, many, many thanks!
    Your friend,
    Janet aka Sugarwhale

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert