MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Pneumonia

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Pneumonia

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    PAG2005

Hi,

My mom has secondary MDS with low counts. She came down with a cold a few weeks ago that wouldn’t go away. She asked for an antibiotic but her Dr. was reluctant because it can cause problems with her stomach. I guess her chest sounded clear but she continued to cough. She had an xray because of a clinical trial she is on and they saw an infection in her lungs which was the start of pneumonia. She seems to be better but she gets pains in her back that moves around. She will be getting another xray soon but I was wondering if the pain in her back that moves around could be a sign that the pneumonia hasn’t cleared up completely. Thank you.. Pat

gemloyear

Hi Pat, It’s possible that is the case, that it hasn’t cleared up completely. I had pneumonia 2 yrs. ago and it took awhile for it to clear up.I had severe pains in my back that lingered on for some time. I don’t have MDS but i’m elderly and so more prone to pneumonia. Did she receive any antibiotic? She could have it injected if need be. My husband had pneumonia in Jan. and was hospitalized. It started with a sinus infection,he was given high dose of augmentin and had a severe allergic reaction. He was then given antibiotics thru IV. which cleared it up in a few days.We had follow up xays to be sure it had cleared up completely. Wishing your mom a quick recovery.

Ellie

PAG2005

Hi Ellie,

My mom did receive antibiotic after they discovered the infection and she seemed to be improving but I’m just concerned because she is still quite tired and has these pains in her back. I’m glad she is scheduled for another xray this week. Thank you so much for the information. I’m glad your husband is better. Pat

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert