MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Procrit Inections

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Procrit Inections

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lynne
    Participant

I have just recently switched doctors,and she now has me on 2 injections(40,000 each)of Procrit a week. My other doctor had me on 40,000 units only once a week I have MDS RARS. I have had 3 red cell transfusion in the past 4 months,and she is trying tokeep me away from transfusions,of course. So far so good. I had a hemoglobin of 11.5 four days ago, which was four weeks since my last transfusion. Anyone getting that much Procrit?

eve

hi lynne

i looked back on my dad’s records and as far as i can see the highest dose he ever got was 60,000 per week (given on the same day)

also i think (not 100% sure) that they will not give procrit once the hgb goes above 12

good luck
    eve

Neil

I Lynne,
    Your dosage seems high.
    I have been on Procrit and now Aranesp for a number of years. My doc is quite comfortable with the drugs but I have a level of discomfort as a result of the recent publicity. At one time I was able to keep my HGB just under 12.0. Then we backed off to 11.O-11.5, usually around 11.1-11.2.
    Now we are backing off further to 10.0. I really cant feel the difference between 10 and 11.
    You might want to gather some of the info on Google and have a discussion with your doc. There could be very good reason for this approach at this time, but if the experience level, particulary with Procrit is not that great would have some further thoughts and discussions.

jga_socal

I got 60K units/week for 18 months thru Oct of last year. I thought that 60K was the maximum dosage. I hope there are no financial arrangements between the doctor and Ortho Biotech (Johnson & Johnson).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert