MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Safe Reumatoid Arthritis drug for MDS patients ?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Safe Reumatoid Arthritis drug for MDS patients ?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Lydia

Mom has RA in her hands. She was prescribed Mobic (meloxicam) which really works for her. BUUUUT I looked at the warnings and it can cause blood problems: low white, red and platelets!

Looked up Humira another RA drug and it has the same warnings. I guess they’re all in a class called TNF blockers.

I told her to stop taking it and she’s afraid her hands will swell up again. Can you believe it! She’s going to check with her doc – but . . .

Anyway, does anyone else have RA and taking a “safe” drug – besides tylenol that doesn’t work?

patti

Lydia,

I don’t have any info on the drugs but wanted to throw some natural stuff out that might work for her and not lower her counts. She could try large doses of MSM for pain and bromelain for inflammation. Both of those can be taken in high doses safely. My husband and I both use these for those reasons (although not RA) but they work very well for us in low doses. I am using 2000mg of MSM daily and 500mg of bromelain (which is one tab) just to give you an idea. Your mom could take 1000mg of MSM three times a day (or more) and 1000mg of bromelain 3x’s a day. It should work pretty quickly if it’s going to. These are the only things I can think of that can help her that won’t lower her counts. It is very frustrating when the drugs they need do that. I know, we’re going through the same thing right now.

Hope this helps. Hang in there.

patti

Dolittle

Hi Lydia
    I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in April 2003 and MDS just 3 months later. The MDS was discovered during the blood tests performed by my rheumatologist to determine which drugs would be apropriate. My arthritis was considered severe…. I could not get up from a chair without assistance nor walk any distance easily. Many of the RA drugs were “contraindicated” because they could suppress blood counts. My RA doc suggested Humira and I discussed it with my hem/onc. We agreed that I could try it. I have been on it for three years and my MDS has been fairly stable. As you mentioned, Humira is a TNF alpha blocker…. some clinical trials are testing Enbrel, a similar drug, for treating MDS.
    Mobic is an NSAID…. like Aspirin, Ibuprofin, Vioxx, etc. and the big risk there is bleeding.
    You and your Mom should talk to her Doctor about the risks and benefits. For me, the Humira was worth the risk. I walk at least three miles a day and I am back to making jewelry and knitting sweaters.
    I have been reading posts here for quite a while, but yours was so close to home for me that I had to respond. I know how difficult this is for your Mom and hope she is able to get some relief.
    ET

Lydia

Thanks Patti and Dolittle for the replys. Printing them out and giving them to mom. I’m sure one of them will help.

Just one thing after the other – you’d think MDS would be enough! Yep, just one day at a time and be positive and we all have to hang in there! This forum certainly is the best!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert