MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

scio trial

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board scio trial

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bec

Hey All,

My Mom heard about new trial with the name SCIO-469. I looked in search engine and found it but of course do not understand it.

Has anyone heard of this..or been enlisted for trial.

Hope you all are living well and laughing much

Bec

Melody

Hi Beck,

We just found out yesterday that Dad’s oncologist wants to send him to Rush Univerity in Chicago to take part in a trial research with a Dr. Jamile Shammo. At this time we do not know if the study involves Revlimid or the oral SCIO-469. Like you I do not understand it. Hopefully I will have better insight in a week or two, depending on my Dad’s decision.

Melody

Laural

This summary is from the Cleveland Clinic trial posting for this drug:

“Summary: The myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) are diseases of the bone marrow stem cells that affect primarily older adults, many of whom become dependent on blood product transfusions or develop acute myeloid leukemia. The only potentially curative therapy is bone marrow transplantation, a modality only available to approximately 5% of patients with MDS. Thus, new therapies are needed. This study uses a novel therapeutic, SCIO-469, to prevent the effects of chemicals (cytokines) produced by MDS cells in the bone marrows. These chemicals prevent the growth of normal bone marrow cells, and it is hypothesized that SCIO-469 will allow that growth to occur again. Objectives include evaluating the safety and tolerability of the drug, as well as assessing the efficacy of the drug (as measured by erythroid response, response of other cell lines, and improvement in cytogenetic abnormalities) in patients with the more indolent form of MDS, with goals of demonstrating improvement of red blood cell transfusion needs and an increase in hemoglobin concentration. Patients will be given this oral drug at different doses daily for 16 weeks. Once safety has been demonstrated, a higher-dose arm will be opened and will enroll patients. Patients will continue to receive medication for up to 52 weeks. Previous studies in patients with other conditions have demonstrated improvement symptoms in patients with rheumatologic disorders and in plsam cell concentrations in patients with multiple myeloma. By participating in this national, multi-center Phase I/II trial, we hope to be part of what could be a new treatment paradigm for MDS.”

This trial will be on-going at multiple locations, including Rush Hospital. You can get a more complete listing, including pre-requisites, side effects, and other locations at http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00113893
    I am sure your doctor will have lots more to share when you go in. Hope it is successful for both of your relatives.
    Laura

Bec

Dear Melody and Laura,

Dad’s Dr. said that the first trial is being used on healthy adults so Dad is waiting…..???

Thanks for responding. We are all hoping for a cure and I feel blessed so many things are being tried.

Bec

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert